Black widow is getting a Duro power grip atv tire.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Black widow is getting a Duro power grip atv tire.

Black widow is getting a Duro power grip atv tire.

Was looking at my original rear tire which has 5300 miles on it and its getting worn out (and very old). Rear wheel is at motorcycle shop getting the Duro power grip installed. Motorcycle shop owner looked at me like I was crazy but said they would do it. (his son will anyway....lol). Soooo trying to decide what sprocket to put on. I'm running a 47t now but from what I've read maybe a 55t might do the trick? I want to be able to go 55mph but will be mostly sticking to low speed in the dirt. I'm also thinking I'm gonna need a different length chain? I was going to pester twbrian with all these questions since he is running the same tire but wanted input from anyone on this forum who has done this mod.
    joeband, Fred and WS23 like this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

motorcycle shop called and said tube has hole and needs new tube. Guess "ride on" was doing its job!
    Fred likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

rbm
    I'm really wanting to do this too, I'd like to find another wheel to have the option available.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

RBM. I thought about having spare front and rear wheels with street tires as an option but really probably better off to just have a nice street bike to ride the pavement.....

another of the nor-cal group goes big.... soon enough there will be fewer of us with out, than with an ATV tire. see you on it in september/october.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    RBM. I thought about having spare front and rear wheels with street tires as an option but really probably better off to just have a nice street bike to ride the pavement.....
    I have a Honda 919 for the street, the TW is strictly an off road, inclement weather, quick blast around the block bike for me.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but are not our chains exactly 1 inch per linked pair. Thus Mike, those 8 extra sprocket teeth (55-47=8) will need a chain 4 inches, and thus 4 links, longer to place axle in same location on swingarm as your current set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong but are not our chains exactly 1 inch per linked pair. Thus Mike, those 8 extra sprocket teeth (55-47=8) will need a chain 4 inches, and thus 4 links, longer to place axle in same location on swingarm as your current set-up.
    IIFC tw-brian's extra bit-o-chain is exactly four links.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have been running the Duro for several years now. I also ended up putting on a 55 tooth rear and it brought the bike back to life. I can go 55+ and all is well. Put on a Shinko 241 and you'll also enjoy a better ride... IMHO.
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

Hey Mike (Evan),

I hope that the shop is able to get your Duro mounted without any drama or injury!

When I went to the dual rear sprocket setup with 47/55 rear sprockets I replaced the stock chain with an o-ring chain, but unfortunately I don't recall what length it was. I believe that the stock chain is 122 links. Here is a pretty decent deal on an o-ring chain with 132 links which would give you plenty of extra length:

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO

Fred, you are correct. Our chains are 1" per linked pair, as measured from the centers of the pins. However, you may be overstating the length of chain needed to bridge a difference of 8 teeth on the rear sprocket. Here is the length of chain that I add/remove when switching between the 47 and 55 rear sprockets (just the 2 linked pairs shown below, the single link shown is a just spare master link). So the actual length needed is only 2" (measured across 2 linked pairs) and not 4". I don't know how to explain it well, but the extra length needed for the 8 extra teeth on the sprocket, gets halved due to the top and bottom run of the chain, therefore only 2" is needed and not 4".

100_4108.JPG

Joe, you must be measuring in what women call "man inches". You know, that's when what is really 3" to a woman is claimed to be 6" by a man !

Hope this helps,

Brian
    joeband, PlacerLode and evan like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links