Advice on replacing rusty fuel tanks
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Advice on replacing rusty fuel tanks

  1. #1
    Junior Member youngdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3

    Advice on replacing rusty fuel tanks

    Has anybody replaced their tank with the new higher capacity acerbis or clark tanks? My stock tank is beyond salvage for my time and dollar. I like the idea of having a polyurethane tank instead of the stock metal ones(rust being the problem for everything in the northeast)
    I have a 1987 TW200 All stock; no mods as of now but planning on having it be my main mode of transport when there isnt snow.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as i am new to bikes
    thanks all

  2. #2
    Senior Member mhomadness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boonville, No.-Calif.
    Posts
    1,360
    Clark tank works great, easy to install, & the TW model gives you a little more fuel capacity. m.

  3. #3
    rbm
    rbm is offline
    Senior Member rbm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by mhomadness View Post
    Clark tank works great, easy to install, & the TW model gives you a little more fuel capacity.
    This. Do some searching here, there are some fitment issues with the Clarke tank, not a deal breaker for myself but some don't care for it.
    mhomadness likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Banned ZDR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,030

  6. #5
    Senior Member Padilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cadillac Michigan area
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by youngdub View Post
    Has anybody replaced their tank with the new higher capacity acerbis or clark tanks? My stock tank is beyond salvage for my time and dollar. I like the idea of having a polyurethane tank instead of the stock metal ones(rust being the problem for everything in the northeast)
    I have a 1987 TW200 All stock; no mods as of now but planning on having it be my main mode of transport when there isnt snow.
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as i am new to bikes
    thanks all
    If you do this could I have your old metal tank? I have a idea for removing the rust. Cheaply and easily, if it works would help a lot of people. I'd pay shipping.

  7. #6
    Senior Member arrowsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    675
    Use vinegar and water 50/50 mix

  8. #7
    Senior Member TW-Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
    If you do this could I have your old metal tank? I have a idea for removing the rust. Cheaply and easily, if it works would help a lot of people. I'd pay shipping.
    Hey Padilen,

    I have a rusty tank that you are welcome to if you want it. Let me know.

    Brian

    100_4274.JPG

  9. #8
    Senior Member Padilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cadillac Michigan area
    Posts
    1,598

    Advice on replacing rusty fuel tanks

    Thank-you
    I think the shipping from CA (right?), will be a lot more than Northeast. But I'd like to try to save one. Could you give me an Idea of the weight and your zip? I'll check on costs.
    Maybe I'd share my idea and you'd like to test it out? I've used it on metal small engine tanks. They weren't as bad as yours. I've used it to clean rusty metal to prep for new paint.

    That's a lot of rust, any apparent holes?
    Last edited by Padilen; 07-16-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added

  10. #9
    Senior Member TW-Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
    Thank-you
    I think the shipping from CA (right?), will be a lot more than Northeast. But I'd like to try to save one. Could you give me an Idea of the weight and your zip? I'll check on costs.
    Maybe I'd share my idea and you'd like to test it out? I've used it on metal small engine tanks. They weren't as bad as yours. I've used it to clean rusty metal to prep for new paint.

    That's a lot of rust, any apparent holes?
    I am not aware of any holes but I will look at it closely tomorrow in the daylight. I got it in this condition and have never tried to put any gas in it.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Padilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cadillac Michigan area
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I am not aware of any holes but I will look at it closely tomorrow in the daylight. I got it in this condition and have never tried to put any gas in it.
    Ok , for my idea it has to hold liquid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. advice on replacing stator
    By ranger11 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM
  2. Fuel tanks
    By emilliano in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 10:21 AM
  3. Rusty tank
    By mekdad in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM
  4. Tips or advice on replacing the base gasket?
    By abyssdncr in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
  5. Alternative Fuel Tanks
    By PJungnitsch in forum Performance and Customization
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM