Cyclerack that much better than Yamaha OEM?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cyclerack that much better than Yamaha OEM?

(Rear Rack) ... Yamaha OEM rack on ebay $100 ... Cyclerack $200. I imagine the mounting positions of the Cyclerack give it more weight potential? But is it really worth +$100 over the OEM one? Kinda looks to me like if riding a passenger the Cyclerack bars would get in the way a tad, and/or be more uncomfortable for the passenger? I've read a lot of the rack threads, just curious if I really need to spend the extra $$ or just pull the trigger on Yamaha OEM and spend the extra money on handguards & such.
    '05 TW200

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    That depends on your needs. Cyclerack is bigger, stronger, and more versatile. But I also have an OEM rack that came on my TW when I bought it, and it is adequate for putting a lunch box on or strapping some gear to. It's all about you friend.

p.s. I'm pretty sure you can get an OEM rack for less than $100. Try the classified section first. I think you can even get it as a Yamaha part from somewhere like partzilla.com for better than that. IDK, worth a try.
    Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 07-14-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Fred likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Quote Originally Posted by twTimG View Post
    (Rear Rack) ... Yamaha OEM rack on ebay $100 ... Cyclerack $200. I imagine the mounting positions of the Cyclerack give it more weight potential? But is it really worth +$100 over the OEM one? Kinda looks to me like if riding a passenger the Cyclerack bars would get in the way a tad, and/or be more uncomfortable for the passenger? I've read a lot of the rack threads, just curious if I really need to spend the extra $$ or just pull the trigger on Yamaha OEM and spend the extra money on handguards & such.

Depends what you want to carry. IMO CR is WAAAAAY better.
    PlacerLode likes this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by twTimG View Post
    The Yamaha rack is junk it's a flawed design that tears two spots on the back of the seat and can barely support it's own weight, The Cyclerack while it could be improved on (see forum user Toyanvil's designs) is far more functional and much better supported than any other rack on the market. Watch Cali Craigslist and you can snag them like new between $100 & $150 fairly often
    SAM_5031.JPG
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Bought my TW with OEM rack. If it hadn't had a rack I'd be asking the same question. But I'm happy with it. If my needs change than I'll change it. I'm short and have some mobility issues so a hard case won't work for me so I added this tool bag.
    Last edited by Padilen; 07-15-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added a pic

Hands down...CR. Protects you and the bike, carries A LOT, looks cool, makes it easier to lift up in case of a spill too. Plus, it's much more sturdy.

Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Moose Racing Expedition Rear Rack - Motorcycle Superstore

i went with the moose expedition which is similar to the oem rack with a little more mounting area...it works for what i need it for...but the cycleracks are really nice just beware they have a flaw as well...

https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...e-my-bike.html

I had the OEM and it was fine. I had a milk crate on it and held plenty of weight. I did end up upgrading to the CycleRack and it's very nice. Specifically, I wanted the ability to carry saddle bags. I have an OEM rack that I would sell you for $65 if you want to try it out! You won't lose money on that deal because you can sell it when you upgrade to the CR!

IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    Last edited by RocNE; 07-15-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    RocNE
    2009 TW200

I was carrying koplin fuel pack on oem rack. rack broke. It was just too much weight for a small rack like that. if your going light weight, your fine with oem. Want to pack gear and weight. cycleracks is way to go. I have two used oem racks for sale. one has been welded back up....lol. used oem rack $25
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Cycleracks are build under ISO HumVee standards!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links