Repositioning rear shock
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbtardy

Thread: Repositioning rear shock

Repositioning rear shock

Hello I'm a new member here. I'm an older guy who has been riding for many years and I bought a new left over 2013 TW200 last week and I have a question. I'm short and the seat is
    a bit high for me and I read a few threads on here about drilling a new hole in the rear shock mount to lower the seat hight. Does anyone know exactly how this is done? Does the swingarm
    have to be removed? Is a fixture needed? Is the hole location critical? I'm pretty handy with tools but a workable plan is invaluable. If the information is on here someplace maybe someone
    could tell me where. Thanks in advance for any help.

I followed this thread when lowering my wifes TW and I did not remove the swingarm.

Seat/Bike lowering for the shorter legged people. - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

goldenhtr i'm assuming that you just used a hand drill and drilled the new hole from the side with the bike upright, or did you lay the bike on it's side? With the pin removed from the original hole it looks
    like the swingarm might swing down for better access from the side. I'm also assuming that the relocation distances mentioned are center to center. It's not rocket science but it would seem that the new holes
    should be square with the mount so as not to bind the pin. The hole diameter needs to be accurate so as to not create slop I would think. So you just used a hand drill with a drill bit long enough to drill both
    sides of the mount at the same time? Any tips appreciated.

Yes hand drilled it. Went down I think the 3/4in. I drilled from the right hand side. I will admit I was a little nervous. But all worked out well.

Shock hole 2.jpgShock hole.jpg
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 07-18-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Highway 61 likes this.

Thanks for your reply goldenhtr, the pics are a big help. I got the shock mount drilled today, about 3/4" down but my holes must be in a slightly different position than yours because there is no way I
    can get the holes to line up because the shock is hitting the front wall of the mount. The solution is to grind the front wall down I guess. In your pics it looks like the shock is making contact with the mount.
    Did you have to do any grinding to get the holes lined up? I don't see any other way on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jbtardy View Post
    Thanks for your reply goldenhtr, the pics are a big help. I got the shock mount drilled today, about 3/4" down but my holes must be in a slightly different position than yours because there is no way I
    can get the holes to line up because the shock is hitting the front wall of the mount. The solution is to grind the front wall down I guess. In your pics it looks like the shock is making contact with the mount.
    Did you have to do any grinding to get the holes lined up? I don't see any other way on my bike.
    Yes I did grind it down. I took my sawall to it. Worked great. Not going to be jumping the bike and there is more than enough material there. Sorry should have made that clearer. I also lowered the front by 1.5in in the triple tees.

I found the pic that I got from another member.

p1010328q.jpg
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 07-21-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"

-Ronald Reagan

Thanks goldenhtr, great pic. I used an air grinder to cut mine down and ended up with just a thin bridge above the hole in the front of the mount, about the same as yours. I'm a shrinking geezer at 127 lbs
    and plan to do about 99% of my riding on the street with the TW so I'm sure there's enough material left for strength, even so I didn't want to have to cut it down to the hole. As they say one pic is worth a
    thousand words so thanks again.

I took it out for a short ride on the county roads Thursday eve to see how it handled with the rear end lowered and the front forks in the original position. The bike felt more stable at speed (45 mph) and
    when braking to a stop. Less twitchy and feels like it wants to track straight down the road. Better handling all around. Yamaha should provide extra holes in the mount as standard to give buyers a choice
    in seat height but that would mean a little more expense in manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbtardy View Post
    I took it out for a short ride on the county roads Thursday eve to see how it handled with the rear end lowered and the front forks in the original position. The bike felt more stable at speed (45 mph) and
    when braking to a stop. Less twitchy and feels like it wants to track straight down the road. Better handling all around. Yamaha should provide extra holes in the mount as standard to give buyers a choice
    in seat height but that would mean a little more expense in manufacturing.
    Did you try a test ride with the front lowered?

-Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    Did you try a test ride with the front lowered?
    No I didn't. Lowering the rear end has allowed me to get flat footed with a little bit to spare. In stock form I was on the balls of my feet, not a secure feeling. Now I am flat footed with my
    knees slightly bent with my weight on the seat, a major difference. Lowering the front would maintain the original relationship of the bike to the road which is now altered a bit but I don't
    know if that's important in any way. Since I plan to use it basically as a street bike I won't have to deal with the uneven surface conditions of off road riding. If I was going to use it as a
    trail bike I would no doubt lower the front also because more is better when dealing with uneven riding surfaces. I could try it sometime and change it back so I may someday. If there is
    a real source of information regarding the efect on handling of changes between the relationship between front and rear suspension I would like to know.

Sponosred Links