Adventurizing my TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Adventurizing my TW

Junior Member John Smallberries's Avatar

Adventurizing my TW

I've had my TW for 3 years now and love it. I will be joining some other guys for a 2-day ride in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on the deep sandy roads between Marquette and Copper Harbor. The guys are encouraging me to bring my big BMW 1200GS, but I'll bring the little guy instead. I've ridden the GS on deep sandy trails, but the anxiety over dropping the big pig sucks much of the fun out of the ride. On the other hand, the little TW is a blast to ride in the deepest sand. No worries - just keep on the throttle. So, I added some farkles to the TW to make it better suited for a 2-day ride, including the ride up to Marquette.

My bike is a stock 2010 model with the following adds recommended by this site!:
    - Cycleracks rear rack
    - Cyclops LED H7 headlight
    - ProCycle aluminum bash plate
    - Swing-away mirrors
    - (2) Mega tool tubes with 1.5l fuel bottles
    - ProCycle strap-on tank bag (great deal for $29)
    - aluminum bar brush guards
    - my old beaten-up AirHawk cushion from my GS

Home Depot sells two Husky tool bags bundled together for $15. My son cobbled up some aluminum sheets to bold the smaller bag solidly to the CycleRack. This will be my tool bag (chain lube, tools, etc.) I'm using the larger Husky bag as my suitcase for clothes, etc. for the 2-days. It should work out fine.

I did some trial runs this weekend. I ran straight down M55 from Cadillac to Muskegon and back to see how fast I could practically ride, and how far. I was able to hold 65-67 mph on the flat stretches with the throttle wide-open. The bike slowed to 55 on the hills. The bike averaged 44 mpg at this speed with the main tank going dry at 60 miles and the reserve holding out for an additional 23 miles. With the 3.0l of gas in the tool tubes, this would give me a maximum range of 110 miles at this speed. My bike only has 200 miles on it now, so my mileage may improve as it breaks in. I'm also hoping to get at least 150 miles at lower speeds on the sandy backroads. I will never match the range of the "Exxon Valdez" GS Adventures, but I at least hope to keep my fuel stop frequency reasonable.

I am looking forward to this ride. I'll be the slowest guy on the pavement stretches, but I should do fine in the deep sandy trails.

Here are some pics:

B-dub, docjekyll2002, Fred and 2 others like this.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

Welcome to the forum John. You have that set up nicely. Good Job! I am surprised that the gas mileage is so low, but you are right, it will improve as the bike gets broken in. Has the carb been messed with by any chance? One thing I might suggest is taking some oil with you on the trip. If you are going highway speeds for a while, TW's can use some oil. You're going to be glad you took the Airhawk..
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Looks like a well thought out and equipped bike, John.

I am sure that you will have a great time!

Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You came on over !

Quote Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
    You came on over !
    Yes! I've been lurking here for some time learning about what others have done with their TWs. I've learned a lot. This trip in 2 weeks will be my first TW multi-day excursion. I had planned on trailering it for the 5-1/2 hour ride up to Marquette, but I think I'll just ride. I have all day to get there and can take back roads the whole way. After my 95-mile shake-down run, I think I'll be fine. (As littletommy noted, the Airhawk makes a huge difference in comfort.)

I've also been considering the excellent dual-sprocket setups I've seen here. That may be my next project...
    Padilen and Fred like this.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

One BIG glaring problem I see is you still have that DeathWing front tire. NOT GOOD IN SAND AT ALL. Next mod you should consider is the front tire replacement. Shinko SR 244 or 241 in 5.10 are less than $60.00 some places even have free shipping. If you are going to ride off road AND in the sand. The tire upgrade is a must.

Tracy
    joeband likes this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    One BIG glaring problem I see is you still have that DeathWing front tire. NOT GOOD IN SAND AT ALL. Next mod you should consider is the front tire replacement. Shinko SR 244 or 241 in 5.10 are less than $60.00 some places even have free shipping. If you are going to ride off road AND in the sand. The tire upgrade is a must.

Tracy
    This is why these forums are so helpful to me!! I ordered this guy earlier today based on similar advice: Kenda K270 Dual Purpose Rear Tire Size- 4.50-18

I'm sure there are many opinions on tires, but I'm told this one is good in the sand.

Thanks Tracy
    goldenhtr likes this.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

I just ordered a set of ProTaper PillowTop grips as well. My test ride wasn't too buzzy - but I'll be on this thing for 4-days straight. I'll need all the comfort tricks I can find.
    2010 TW200

2009 CRF230

2005 1200GS

I'd like to do rides like this.

Think about filling your handlebar with lead shot when the grips are off. I've heard this knocks down vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links