A Few Simple Mods Then Hit the Road
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: A Few Simple Mods Then Hit the Road

A Few Simple Mods Then Hit the Road

About midnight Friday last I finally placed my order for a Cyclerack - opted for the flat back model. It was on my front porch Monday by noon. No pics but easy install and well pleased. That motivated me to complete of a couple of others I've been putting off.

The first was to install a cigarette lighter outlet. I already had this double outlet model with watertight caps and it fit well below the instrument panel:
    Dual Outlet 3525.jpg

I attached the leads direct to the battery terminals and ran the 12 gauge wiring through a length of clear vinyl tubing then sealed the connection to the outlet with heat shrink tubing:
    Wiring 3521.jpg

The first accessory was my Garmin Nuvi GPS in the clear case of the QuadBoss tank bag, also a new purchase and simple install:
    Nuvi 3522.jpg

I converted the terminals on my battery charger to a male cigarette plug for recharging. For now I am carrying the mini air compressor in the left tank bag, trusty pistolero in the right of course:
    Mini Pump 3526.jpg

I've mentioned before I generally trailer the TW to my preferred riding places as I like to camp out for a few days. I've added a few convenience items to my trailer: Ready to roll, gas and water go in tongue rack:
    Loaded 3532.jpg

to be continued

part 2

I have a bikini top on the teardrop shaped frame for now. Am debating making a full canvas cover for later or possibly something solid like frp or alum. In either case the top lifts for loading. It provides some traveling protection but more importantly, shade when I arrive. The vinyl truck boxes carry all my camping gear:
    Loading 3529.jpg

The two rear boxes swing up and away for loading the TW. On the left floor is my tent base, on the right a folding ramp:
    boxes up 3495.jpg

The rear boxes contain cooking gear, non perishable food and utensils:
    Cook box 3496.jpg

At the campsite:
    Campsite 3547.jpg

The tent base attaches to either side of the trailer and can be used with several different tents or just as a bed:
    Tent 3554.jpg
    tcepilot, Padilen, Bagger and 6 others like this.

Please
    Come to Michigan and help me with my trailer ideas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Very nice, well thought out rig.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Very cool!

Very nicely done!

Since everything else has been so well thought out, I am guessing that you have also devised a clever way to secure your bike to the trailer. Any details you can share?

rbm
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post

Since everything else has been so well thought out, I am guessing that you have also devised a clever way to secure your bike to the trailer. Any details you can share?
    Thanks -

Before I took delivery of my TW in January I already had the trailer, but the side rails had been cut away by the previous owner and the floor was rotted.

I had just stripped everything to the frame, re-wired and painted. I also added a fold-up jack and permanently attached the titling tongue:
    paint and wire 1759.jpg

To haul the TW home I threw down a sheet of 1/2" plywood and made a simple wood chock:
    new TW 1762.jpg

After I added new side rails and a tailgate I made a few trips:
    zion 1984.jpg

Then I purchased this motorcycle chock from Harbor Freight: I replaced the cheesy eye and attachment bolts, drilled out the holes, and ran a 1/2" eyebolt through the floor and steel frame. I use ratchet tie downs with soft loops on the lower front forks. I have snap links on both ends of the tie downs:
    chock 3422.jpg

Not seen in the photo but I have a pair of blocks on the floor on both sides of the rear tire to center when loading and to keep it from hopping and a pair of tie downs from the lower frame to the stake pockets of the trailer. The trailer axle is rated at 3500# so I run the trailer tires at 20-25# to compensate.

With the HF chock I can stand at the very rear of the trailer after walking the TW up the ramp and engage or disengage the TW to/from the chock with one hand and it is held securely while I attend to the tie downs. I had initially planned to make the ramp and tent platform dual purpose but changed to this smaller one (6' x 24") which folds in half and stores on the floor to the right of the TW.
    ramp 3500.jpg

All the rest was just trial and error in selecting and arranging the boxes and other camping gear. I had initially planned to have a weather and bug proof sleeping area within the trailer itself, but that was either too complicated or required too much set-up time. The tent platform is entirely optional but I prefer to be off the ground and my old knees thank me.

M C
    B-dub, TW-Brian and Bagger like this.

Thanks M C,

I figured that you had come up with some type of front wheel chock arrangement. Thanks for the details!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by M C Toyer View Post
    I have a bikini top on the teardrop shaped frame for now. Am debating making a full canvas cover for later or possibly something solid like frp or alum. In either case the top lifts for loading. It provides some traveling protection but more importantly, shade when I arrive. The vinyl truck boxes carry all my camping gear:
    Loading 3529.jpg

The two rear boxes swing up and away for loading the TW. On the left floor is my tent base, on the right a folding ramp:
    boxes up 3495.jpgThe rear boxes contain cooking gear, non perishable food and utensils:
    Cook box 3496.jpg

At the campsite:
    Campsite 3547.jpg

The tent base attaches to either side of the trailer and can be used with several different tents or just as a bed:
    Tent 3554.jpg
    If you don't mind how much$ do you have in the setup? very nice and cool love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links