stock air filter
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: stock air filter

so after cleaning my air filter for the first time tonight, I notice that the filter and location seem really restrictive. I am just wondering if anyone has done any mods to provide more air into the carb. Seems to me you could almost ditch the hole box and put a simple k&n style filter on it and give the motor a little more air....has anyone done this? or at least noticed the same thing? After taking the side cover off, I wondered how air even got into the carb.. Seems ineffective to me!

Personally Im not a big fan of K&N filters. The reason they flow and breath so well is because they sacrifice filtration. There are a million internet articles about filter comparisons out there. Just change your filter regularly and dont worry about it.

+1 for TW Joe. I like to use 90 weight gear oil on the stock filter. Takes a bit of care to get it evenly distributed and not over oiled. Someday I'll break down and buy some UniFilter oil (nice'n sticky). I wonder if UniFilter makes a replacement for the stock filter ?
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Chaser View Post
    ... I wonder if UniFilter makes a replacement for the stock filter ?
    An air filter for the TW is not listed in the Unifilter catalog.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    An air filter for the TW is not listed in the Unifilter catalog.

jb

Buy the flat filter material from Uni and cut your own.

To get more flow out of the stock filter use mineral oil or ATF instead of motor oil. In my experience the thinner oil actually captures MORE crap than either motor oil or filter-specific oil, without choking the motor, and it's easier to clean.

With any oil up to say 40WT it's pretty hard to over-oil a filter. Engine heat will eventually cause the excess to drain to the airbox drain within a few miles.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Here is a link to air filter tests. Having seen it I removed the K&N equivalent I had on my bike (long before i got the TW)

http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevy-g...r-testing.html

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Buy the flat filter material from Uni and cut your own....
    Thanks, lizrdbrth. I didn't realize the filter material is available by itself.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Hey!

While this topic is hot, I recently wondered if K&N filter oil is ok for the TW foam filter and if it would "grab" enough particulate??

any thoughts are great appreciated...I have a freshly cleaned filter oiled with K&N oil ready to go - I'm just a bit cautious to install it

-Adam

Ok you asked, I prefer heavier stickier oil. I have been told specifically not to use K&N oil on foam filters as it is too light. I have used all kinds of oil on these over the years and

I like 90wt gear oil best as it is kinda sticky like UniFilter oil. But you must be careful not to use to much and work it in evenly. I started using the 90wt as I have a bottle of it that is too old for gears and didn't know what to do with it. Works great. JMHO
    GOD BLESS & RIDE SAFE, TC____________ BC rides: Honda SL100, Honda TL125, Penton125 ISDT, KTM400 ISDT

now riding '06 TW w/ Jimbo Window, Acerbis bushbusters, ProTaper bars w/risers, Pro Grip 737's, Osram Rally headlamp w/modulator, turn signal beeper, Kenda k270 4.00 x 18,
    triple horns w/relay, big pegs, folding shifter, tuned carb w/drilled slide, 15/50 w/D.I.D. O-ring, RedLine 20w/50, Sterns w/extra padding, extra LED brake light, xt225 brake arm, rear Cycle Racks w/hacked milk crate. Hidden Content

I look at it as UNI made there own filter oil for a reason, however I have been one to use 2 stroke oil on many a foam filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links