Another 14/47 question -_-
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another 14/47 question -_-

Okay. So I understand that 14/47 will get me up to at least 60 doing pretty good. How about in the trails? Will it still have enough bottom end to get up the hills? I'm using 14/50 now and it works great in trails for me. What's the real deal with the 14/47 set up?
    -tcepilot Hidden Content
    --- Psalm 23 Verses 4-5 ----

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil,
    for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed
    my head with oil; My cup overflows. (New American Standard Bible)

In the trails I just don't want to fall over going up a hill. I usually do hills in first. Not out there to compete with full on trail bikes. But with 14/50 I know it'll go up the same hills as the rest under 300ccs.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

TCE, it's an 6.4 % difference, and unless you are a big guy like me on the hills, I don't think it will slow you down much at all bro. Keep us posted if you try it and let us know what you think.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi tcepilot,

Probably not exactly what you're looking for in an answer, but I though I'd mention a little experience I have with different gearing.

BLUF (bottom line up front), you're really gonna have to try the 47T for yourself on the trails you ride to see if it will work. I've not tried the 47T as it goes the wrong way for me gearing wise, but I can contribute some comparison to give you an idea, between a 50T and 55T.

Couple years ago I rode to the East Moutain Lookout with my 50T. In the steepest section of the road, I had to keep shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. Sometimes 2nd would bog down, so downshifted to 1st, which was fine tough higher rpm.

I then had the occasion to go back up to the lookout the next year. This time with 55T. I was able to maintain a steady pace in 2nd in this steep section. No downshifting. A fellow I was riding with had a 50T on his and noticed how easy it was for me to ride uphill, while he experienced the same downshifting issue I had previously. But he made it.

I could do it easy enough with the 50T, but even easier with the 55T. The main thing is, I actually tried/expiremented with different sprockets to see if it worked for me. And to be fair to the 47T users. I've also ridden to some lookouts (different L.O. than I mentioned above) with a rider which did it with a 47T. He never complained going up, but did mention he had to ride his brakes more going downhill.

If you think you'd like a 47T, heck, give it a try. You might like it for your needs and area you ride.

Take Care.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mine came with a 47t on it and I've been fine with it. Able to climb pretty steep hills in 1st but no way in 2nd. If your mainly on trails I would personally go the other way with a 55t but if you ride pavement a lot then 47t will bring those rpms's down when going about 55-60. Ive got a 42t, 47t, 50t, and a 55t......Thinking of putting my new 55t on next because really don't care about going fast on pavement. (45-50 on country roads suits me. I like to look around and enjoy the scenery)
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I hit the trails when I can, but the tw is the best transportation for the money. Plus its more fun than a car! I guess its worth a shot.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

I usually run a 14/47 or 15/50. Im about 150lbs and it gets me anywhere I need to go. We are at low elevation so you should be fine. The only time I about ran out of steam was at 13,000' in Colorado and I just barely made it up a steep hill. Now I have a 15/54 for this next Colorado trip but will probably go back to 15/50 when we get back.

I tried 14/47 and didn't like it on the trails or the street. Went back to 14/50.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I don't know, I might leave it the wat it is.
    -tcepilot Hidden Content

I have a 15t for the front that I had planned on putting on a few months ago but I haven't had time to do it plus I've been going places that worry me about power loss and I want to put the HD clutch springs at the same time. I'm also thinking a little about the kicker. I haven't even had the carb off. I have the jets but it runs pretty good as is. I'll do all the mods over the Winter.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links