Mirror solution
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbtardy

Thread: Mirror solution

Mirror solution

I bought my 2013 TW a few weeks ago and there's a lot of things about it that I like. One thing I didn't really care for however is the two Jack Beanstalk mirrors that are original equipment on the bike. Thinking about an inexpensive solution I removed them. The right side mirror has a
    left hand thread, not so easy to deal with, but I really only need one. I took the lock nut to Menards and determined the thread to be 10mm-1.25
    and luckily they had a small die in that size for about $3. I cut the mirror shaft at 3 1/4" from the bend with a hacksaw and threaded it about 3/4"
    with the die. The die fits into a 1" socket and worked easily with a ratchet after I filed a good bevel on the cut end and cut the hard chrome
    plated surface with coarse sand paper. Cutting oil helps greatly when threading. I turned the mirror 180 degrees to face opposite from original
    and mounted it. Works great and lets me see past my left arm. An inexpensive solution. I'll add a pic if I can figure out how.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    r80rt likes this.

I applaud your ingenuity.

Are you able to see past your shoulder when using the mirror?

Procycle sells an adapter that turns your right side mirror receptacle into a right hand thread if you wanted to do the same thing on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by old white truck View Post
    I applaud your ingenuity.

Are you able to see past your shoulder when using the mirror?

Procycle sells an adapter that turns your right side mirror receptacle into a right hand thread if you wanted to do the same thing on the other side.
    Thanks for the compliment. The mirror only clears my hand by an inch or so, the way I like it, so the view is past my arm and is not up to shoulder level. I
    figured there were thread adapters to be had for the left hand thread or the hole could be drilled out and rethreaded but I have been riding for almost 50
    years and always removed mirrors and rode without any until the last 2-3 yrs. It's a natural tendency for me to glance at the left mirror so for now I'll
    probably just stick to one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good thinkin !.

I got the cheaper folding mirror's and adaptor (PC) and can see past my shoulders did the same thing on my xt250 and DR650. Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle

Another member suggested the mirrors below in my profile . about $30 and work REAL well seeing behind your shoulders .
    Look at the bottom of this page under SIMILAR THREADS
    Norm in Arkansas
    2006 TW , Kick Starter , Shinko 241 front 4;00/18 ,Vesrah HD clutch springs. Carb jet Kit, Amsoil 10-40 , ALLSBALLS steering head bearings, Jimbo shield. Zeta drop -down bend handguards
    Ricochet skidplate from IMMIX RACING , BIKEMASTER Supersport mirrors XT350 fuel tank , member big foot pegs

Honda XR 600 , KTM 300 , BMW 1100 gs , 327 Cushman Truckster , KTM 625 SXC . Ural with sidecar

Sponosred Links