LED Driving lights
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By jb882
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By tinman tim

Thread: LED Driving lights

LED Driving lights

I recently installed some new LED lights on my TW and i thought i would share how i did it. So far im very impressed with the lights, they add so much more visibility vs just the headlight.

What i ended up buying were the Solstice 10w LED's with the Euro pattern. I bought them from Amazon for $103 each and free shipping.
    Amazon.com: Vision X XIL-S1100 Solstice 2" Square Euro Beam Solo LED Pod Light: Automotive

To mount them to the bike i bought some brackets from Procycle. They attach to the lower bolts on the triple tree and make for a nice clean installation. They are listed at a DR650 part but they fit the TW perfectly. They cost $9 plus shipping.
    Suzuki DR650 Parts, Accessories, & Performance - ProCycle
    Scroll down to the light section for the brackets.

I also bought a switch to mount on the bars to control them. I got this one from Twisted Throttle. Its kind of spendy for a switch at $30 but its very nicely put together and waterproof.
    SW-MOTECH Weatherproof On / Off Accessory Switch - TwistedThrottle.com

To wire them to the bike i had a couple of things in mind that i wanted to accomplish. I did not want to cut any of the factory wires and i also had a desire to switch them on automatically when i had the high beams on and also be able to control them on a switch when im on low beam. I also wanted them to pull power direct off the battery so i would not tax the bikes wires. To do this i needed a few parts. 2 1N 5400 diodes, one single pole single throw relay, a fuse holder, wires and some connectors.

What i ended up doing electrically was i pulled power from the factory headlight switch for the trigger on the relay. Yamaha was nice enough to put bullet connectors between the switch and the headlight so i was able to pull power from there. I made some pigtails so i didn't have to cut anything and its all easily reversible. From the low beam side i ran my pigtail to the switch, then from the other end of the switch into a diode then into the trigger port on the relay. The high beam side connects to another diode that also connects to the trigger port on the relay. For those that do not know what diodes do they allow current flow only one way, the reason i used them is i have two power sources connected to the same spot on the relay, if i didn't use them i would have both high and low beam whenever the lights were powered which i do not want. The lights are connected to the output terminal on the relay and grounds are tied to the battery. The relay also has a power and a ground and both of these are connected direct to the battery. I tucked and tied the relay behind the headlight. At the battery end i used a 5A fuse and a holder at the battery for the pos lead.

The end product looks like this. The lights are on whenever the high beams are on and normally off with low beams on. If i hit the switch they are on all the time. So far i am very happy with them and plan to do this to my other TW that my girlfriend rides in the future. If anyone needs pictures and more info i can break it down and take more pics.
    tinman tim, Fred and Rhodetrip like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Very nice install and thanks for the info, that will certainly help folks do the same thing.
    Fred likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

very clean install
    Fred likes this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Sponosred Links