which front wheel for drum brakes
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian

Thread: which front wheel for drum brakes

which front wheel for drum brakes

Hi all,

been reading some of the threads on the forum and you lot certainly know TW's I have just bought a TW125 and am converting it to an old skool bobber.

What I would like is front drum brakes, the reason is I want to use BSA Bantam bars and levers so don't want a reservoir on the bars.

Hope you can help

2001 is first year disk brakes on the 200 ,not sure about your 125 if they run the same size wheels etc .

Bruce,

Thanks for posting, mine has 18" fronts and 14" rears, does that mean that pre 2001 wheels had drums ? and if I could find one would it fit my 2002 bike ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I am not an expert on these bikes ,but pre 2001 should work for you but you might need to look at the lower fork leg as it is probably a little different around the brake backing plate .

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the forum Derek!

Yes, all TW's were equipped with drum brakes until Yamaha switched to disc brakes. In the U.S., this switch began with the 2001 model year.

In order to install a drum brake front wheel on your bike, you will need a complete wheel/drum brake assembly, the brake cable and brake lever assembly, and also the left (brake) side lower fork leg assembly. I am not sure if the speedometer cable will just plug and play, but I would guess that it will.

Since most people want to convert their bikes from front drum bakes to disc brakes, it should be pretty easy to find someone who would gladly trade the necessary parts with you. I know that I would, but I am guessing that you are somewhere outside of the U.S.

Hope this helps,

Brian
    Fred likes this.

Brian

Yes for my sins I am in England and having problems finding any companies over here who even recognise the TW ! I have searched e-bay for an early front wheel and fork but all seem to be disk brakes, I will try Europe.

I see a few on USA e-bay but shipping makes buying difficult.

Will get on with the bike and hopefully one will appear.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek,

Too bad you are across the pond because I have a few complete drum brake front ends and would trade with you in a heartbeat.

There are a few of your fellow countrymen on this forum (skippyboyo2, for instance). Macbig2k1 in Germany is a technical expert on all things TW. They may be of some assistance locating the parts that you are looking for.

Good luck!

Brian
    littletommy likes this.

i guess you're mechanically minded if you're converting this yourself, have you considered breaking the forks down and just swapping outer tube ends?? they are only aluminium,so pretty light for shipping, you would have to re-do the seals but they are £10 max, i would also suggest breaking the wheel down as you would only need the spokes and hub, not rim and tyre, (lacing the wheel is easy, i learnt from a you tube video)..this would save you shipping costs. the speedo cable is a different fitting on the drum end also. i noticed a few ebay sellers from US are charging for customs, i don't think you should pay customs costs in the UK for second hand parts…but not 100% on this,

i have a spares bike so would be interested in a swap (depending on shipping costs) if TW Brian can't help you out.
    Last edited by supachip1; 08-16-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Sponosred Links