A few questions on upcoming modifications
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A few questions on upcoming modifications

A few questions on upcoming modifications

Hello everyone. I have a couple questions that I thought I'd put under one thread.

1. I put the TW203/204 (street tires) on this winter and sold the stock ones since I commute only on pavement. I'm now looking for some knobbies. I have a small plot of land at a different home that is mostly grassy pasture. Are there any tires that fit the TW that are knobbier than stocks, or should I just opt for another stock pair? Would stock be suitable for easy, not super aggresive terrain? There are some fairly steep hills I should mention.

2. Anyone have the TCI skid plate with engine guards? I have read some bad stories on here about fitment issues.

3. Anyone have an FMF pipe? I'm somewhat of a mechanical nube, so could someone explain in great detail the effect of an aftermarket exhaust system on performance? How difficult is rejetting a carb for a newbie? Also, what is the effect on mpg?

4. Fuel line filter? Good idea, or not necessary?
    Last edited by Tdubcruising; 08-17-2014 at 10:00 PM.

1. Do not go with the stock front tire under any circumstances. I would look at the Shinko 241, or the 244 if you want even more knob. The stock rear is fine for most folks.

3. I think there are better places to spend T-dub $$$ than on an FMF pipe. The stock pipe runs pretty well.

4. Absolutely get an in-line filter. Cheap insurance to protect your carb and quick and easy to install.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I find the rear stock tire to be pretty good in both road and trails. The front tire is where you can do some experimenting. I'm not sure what your plan is. Are you keeping the road tires and switching wheels and tires for off road or just looking for the best all around treads for both conditions.

If I had an extra front wheel I would fit one with a road tire and the other with either a Shinko or Kenda aggressive tread and keep the rear the same Bridgestone stock.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Switching tires when going off roading.

Definitely go with something other than a deathwing on the front. I personally run a Shinko 244 on the front of both of mine and i really like them both on and off road. Off rod its not like a full on motocross knobby but its vastly superior to the stock tire and for 99% of what i do off road its perfect. On road it has very good manners and is much better than the stocker.

On the rear you really only have a couple of options. A TW34 or an ATV tire. Unless you are doing some serious mudding the TW34 should be fine for you. Its good in anything but deep mud and is great on the road too.

I was thinking about the more road biased tires at one point but i don't feel they are needed any more since switching my front tire off. I also run a Duro ATV tire on mine from time to time but only when i'm doing some mudding.

As far as the exhaust goes, its up to you. If you are trying to simply make it louder go for it. Otherwise don't waste your money. I bought a DG for mine and it sounded better and more like a dirt bike that's about where it ended. Performance gains were about nil, maybe it revs a bit better at high RPM but that's it. Nothing to write home about at all, for now i have the factory muffler back on since i prefer it quiet since i ride at night a lot and done want to annoy people that are trying to sleep.

I know nothing about the TCI plate, never seen one in person. I do have a Ricochet/MSR/Moose on both of mine and they work great and are about half the money of the TCI.

Fuel filter, yes absolutely.
    Last edited by jb882; 08-18-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Since you claim be be a mechanical nube, leave the carb and exaust alone for now. You clould be opening a whole new can of biteing worms.

Joe
    mhomadness likes this.

A lot of people really like the Shinko 244. I either got a bad batch or am really picky, You might want to try the Shinko 241. My 244, if it had actually been round, would have been a pretty good street tire. The stock rear, I would echo what everyone else has already said.

Leave the exhaust alone. You're not going to get any more noticeable power out of the deal, and it won't make the bike run any better, just more money and more noise.

As for the carburetor, I say, give it a try. We were all new wrenches once. There is a really thorough write up on carburetor tuning here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...rb-tuning.html, and there are videos as well, in the technical write ups section. Setting your carb correctly goes a long way to improving the TW.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWRC View Post
    A lot of people really like the Shinko 244. I either got a bad batch or am really picky, You might want to try the Shinko 241. My 244, if it had actually been round, would have been a pretty good street tire. The stock rear, I would echo what everyone else has already said.

Leave the exhaust alone. You're not going to get any more noticeable power out of the deal, and it won't make the bike run any better, just more money and more noise.

As for the carburetor, I say, give it a try. We were all new wrenches once. There is a really thorough write up on carburetor tuning here: https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...rb-tuning.html, and there are videos as well, in the technical write ups section. Setting your carb correctly goes a long way to improving the TW.
    Both of my 244's have been great. I thought i had a bad one at first when i mounted my first one but it was more a balance issue. Some ride-on cured it nicely.
    littletommy likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Im happy with the stock rear and sr244. I can drag my boots in the corners and go about anywhere offroad. My buddy jist put on a sr241 and it seems to be a nice tire also. No problems in Colorado with either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links