Dial-A-Jet installed.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Dial-A-Jet installed.

Dial-A-Jet installed.

At sea level, my 132.5/.060"/2.5turns setup was already a little on the rich side, though it was fantastic during the colder, winter months. Fred's stomping grounds, however, not so good. Fred HQ, at 5100', was just ok, but at the 6k and 7k marks, I was basically just wrestling a polished turd. I was so frustrated with the bike's performance that weekend, I decided that +-$100 was worth experimenting with the Dial-A-Jet.

This past weekend, I finally got off my arse and put the stock 126 in, removed the 2 excessive shims, and put the DAJ on. Aside from trying to round out the carb's two top cover screws and having issues trying to get the carb back into its boots, all was fairly easy and issue-free. So the setup is now: 126/.040"/2.5, notch 4 of 5 on the DAJ, where richest setting is 1, leanest is 5. The bike hasn't run this well since swapping out my pipe. Heck, since I got it over a year ago. Everything, to me, feels dead on - initial throttle, mid, and WOT. Starts easy (I think I've only ever used my choke once or twice, ever), no hesitation, no surging, and no decel pops. Even if it never sees altitude again, I'll consider the $100 to be a win. Looking forward to seeing what happens, if anything, to gas mileage. In theory, since it's running leaner but taking more as it needs it via vacuum, I should hopefully see a little bit of a difference.

Since the DAJ is currently running on the second to last leanest setting, I've ordered a 122 main jet. My hope is that it will allow me to run with the DAJ at the second to last richest setting at home, allowing for a click richer in colder weather, and 3 clicks leaner for altitude (each click, from what I've read online, should be good for about 2000ft or so).

Also, for poo and giggles (mostly giggles), I've ordered DAJ's TPI Valve, which basically gives the air-box a convertible effect - a small hole in the air-box cover that can be opened up or closed. This is rumored to be able to lean out the bike by one or two jet sizes, when/if needed. We shall see.

I'll report back as I: put the 122 on, put the TPI on, actually test at altitude (Fred!), or learn more about things as they happen in relation to the above.

Random notes:
    1) Placement. They recommend between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position on the carb/intake. Mine is more at 9:10 for easy access. I'm sure it's a gravity assist thing, and I'd imagine anything outside of 3pm to 9pm should be more than fine. Seems ok where mine is at.
    2) Placement part 2. Boot vs carb.
    Available space on boot; not really any space on carb.
    Tools for boot (included in kit); no tools to drill out carb
    Fixing any screwups. Duct tape, or worst case, new boot, should be easier/cheaper than new carb.
    3) DAJ fuel tube acts as float level indicator.
    4) (Pictured) Currently running without its (separately purchased) snorkel. Pain free testing and street riding. The snorkel will go on before the bike sees dirt.
    5) As per Thunder Products' site, "NOT legal for sale in California on pollution controlled motor vehicles except on vehicles used for closed course racing only or in other states where similar laws apply. For off-road racing use only". I had to fill out a CARB (California Air Resource Board) waiver, promising that "the products I am purchasing ... will be used only in closed course competition such as motocross or drag racing or closed course events in accordance to CARB policies" twice; once for the DAJ, and once for the TPI.

DAJ1.jpg

DAJ2.jpg

DAJ.installed.jpg

carbDAJ.png
    Last edited by bananachunks; 08-25-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Do not waver. Formatting.
    elime, Fred, mhomadness and 1 others like this.
    2018 CB500XA - Rally Raid: Level 2 Suspension/Wheels, Engine guard / bash plate, Pannier racks, Wide pegs, Rear brake reservoir guard, ABS switch, Radiator screen, kickstand shoe. Barkbuster/Storm. Palmer windshield adjuster w/ accessory bar. Savage steering damper, levers, and rear rack. Givi Trekker Outback 42L Top Case and Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags. 50W 3" spot/flood pods. Scorpion Serket Taper slip-on.

I sooooooo want a fuel injected 250 engine in this thing!!!!!

Tom
    bananachunks likes this.

You sure have my attention!

I checked out the website and what I gather you set your carb up to run lean and then use DAJ to richen it up a little bit at a time until it runs well. Check your spark plug and see how it looks. Easiest way to tell how if it is running to rich or lean.
    bananachunks likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice write up George, now you are ready for a little "closed course competition" up here or on Josh's upcoming ride. I like the way tubing acts like a float bowl level indicator. What is especially appreciated is that you have demonstrated that the modification is both straightforward and results in immediate gratifying results without a lot of fine tuning. Many thanks even though you have now added one more thing to my wish list. And Just as I was thinking my bike will be the cat's meow once Brian's gift of kick starter gets installed....darn forrum and it's creative inventive members, always one more farkle to crave.
    bananachunks and williamemack like this.

Fred, the kicker install and the DIJ install are EASY single track modifications! I am a sore sob still today.
    TW-Brian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I checked out the website and what I gather you set your carb up to run lean and then use DAJ to richen it up a little bit at a time until it runs well. Check your spark plug and see how it looks. Easiest way to tell how if it is running to rich or lean.
    This is exactly how it works. Putting the stock 126 on leaned it up enough to use is around my stomping grounds, but not enough for its intended use: altitude. 122 is on its way, and I'll have no issue with ordering a 120 if the 122 doesn't put me at the second to last rich setting for home. I may eventually do a spark plug check, but between a year on this one already and the weekend in Fredtowne running really rich, I think this plug is outside of it's "tell me whatcha know" period.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Nice write up George, now you are ready for a little "closed course competition" up here or on Josh's upcoming ride. I like the way tubing acts like a float bowl level indicator. What is especially appreciated is that you have demonstrated that the modification is both straightforward and results in immediate gratifying results without a lot of fine tuning. Many thanks even though you have now added one more thing to my wish list. And Just as I was thinking my bike will be the cat's meow once Brian's gift of kick starter gets installed....darn forrum and it's creative inventive members, always one more farkle to crave.
    Definitely eyeballing Josh's ride, or any other when I can start taking a Friday off, again. When it comes to mechanicals, if I can do it, pretty much anyone can do it! And yes, I took it around the block twice - once in center, once towards rich, and then for a trip across the City on once towards lean. Liked it too much where it was to properly rule out the full lean setting.

Totally envious of that kickstarter! And yes, we all know there are always farkles on the list!

Awesome work George. Nice job, can't wait to see it in person.
    Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Looks like a nice addition to your TW! Josh, When is your upcoming ride? Have you set a date yet?
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Any more updates Andrew? Figure you probably haven't had it at altitude yet, but have you pulled the plug to check burn conditions?
    Thanks Josh
    bananachunks likes this.
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Have not checked on the plug. On leanest DAJ setting, and think it needs to go further. Have 122 and 120, but didn't make the time to put them on during the three days of festivities. I'll probably start with the 120.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links