Keep Your Ethanol Treatment Handy
Close

Keep Your Ethanol Treatment Handy

image.jpgimage.jpg

A friend of mine repairs chainsaws and small engines. His business increased due to the 10% ethanol additive. I've been using it in everything except my cars after talking with him.
    I kept it in my pack at first. Digging through it to find my small bottle was a pain. I bought a Purell Hand Sanitizer, remover the bottle and inserted the one oz bottle in the rubber holder. Added a tie wrap and it fits perfect and is handy when filling up.

Good idea. I was just thinking about this today.

Excellent technical write up. Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    To prove this; take a small tupperware container, slightly clear plastic, and put some 10% ethanol gas in it. Not much, a few ounces. Notice that it is nice and clear, with a slight orange yellowish tinge to it. Let it set for an hour and go check it again. Now you will see the fuel is cloudy. Let it sit another couple hours and you will see droplets of water sitting in the bottom of the tupperware container. If you use a clear glass jar, you will see this even better, but I hesitate to advise anyone to put gas in a glass container. They might forget and store it that way.
    I did that this summer to prove to myself that I was indeed using gas with ethanol. I'm not patient, so I just mixed the gas with water, shook it, and let it settle:

Last edited by Indiana; 08-31-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Wow very informative science experiment.

PLEASE don't get me started on Ethanol fuel.
    99% of people don't care, as they don't need small engines.
    The rest are too complacent, or just too stupid to realize how much it actually costs, and that it isn't going to solve a "fuel crisis" or "dependence on foreign oil".

Please...
    I travel to get ethanol free fuel. I'd rather drive, and spend the extra time and money, than spend time repairing or replacing the damage it causes. There is no "fix". It's snake oil.
    It's a band-aid. Like Ethanol.
    Hopefully, one day we'll look back on this, like other good ideas. Aluminum wiring comes to mind. Urea formaldehyde insulation. Asbestos...
    The list goes on.

5 hour energy drink bottles also hide well under seats in bags etc. i usually mix 75% seafoam 25% marine stabil.

Funny how our wonderful pork barrel politicians promote ethanol which actually takes more energy to produce than it returns in gasoline. Then, it damages engines and makes things worse...great solution? Don't think so, but what do I know, just a practical guy moving through life on a TDub!

When I was in Brazil the gas stations sold E100 right next to conventional grades of gasoline. The pure ethanol was always priced to match gasoline irregardless of cost of production so was very profitable. The exhaust smell from pure ethanol use was very alcohol like, suggesting to me incomplete combustion. An engineer friend at Volkswagen said her team worked hard to produce the early flex fuel engine management sensors and associated hardware but system was still inefficient. The smell of un-burnt ethanol permeating rush hour traffic idling away made me nauseous.

Sponosred Links