TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

JIS screwdrivers

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  GaryL 
#1 ·
I took the plunge and I'm sorry I waited so long.

They fit so well, they stay in the screw head horizontally.

I got this set of four for about $25 on Amazon.

See less See more
Reactions: Fred
#2 ·
Did the same a few months ago. The Hozan units are fine, but I found the largest one, still a bit small for some jobs. I have been playing around with a couple of older Japanese bikes that use a lot of Phillips screws. To the Hozan set, I added the next two sizes by purchasing the very nice Vessel units also offered on Amazon. Gerry

#4 ·
I love a good screwdriver. One that I have also found to be amazing is Easy Power 6 in 1 reversible. It bites like its welded to the screw. Perfect size for the bike tool bag. Priced under $8 on eBay

#6 ·
It is a JIS in there, not a Phillips.

Reactions: ActionDeath
#7 ·
I didn't know what JIS was so I googled it. Found a technical drawing of the tip. I was going to insert it into this thread but couldn't figure it out.

#10 ·
That Easy Power screw driver I like must be a JIS. I can't tell you how many times I looked at the tip trying to figure what made it so special. I have a printer repair company in Baltimore. I was so impressed with how well it worked that I had bought all my Technicians two. One for the bench and one for there on site tool bag.

#11 ·
Some manufacturers don't make drivers in the JIS pattern. I was told by the rep at Vessel it is because the term JIS is patented and can't be used by most manufacturers. Vessel sells a nice JIS driver set that I have but I also wanted driver bits that snap into my impact driver. Vessel had them but in packs of 10 or 12 in sizes P 1,2&3.

Other companies that can't use the JIS term might have the right drivers and bits but they will call them Cross Point. I found them at my local Fastenal store and they fit perfect. Doing some searching on the web and I was amazed to see all the various driver bit styles and names there actually are. What we usually just assume is a Phillips could actually be any of over a dozen different Phillips look a like heads.

With all the different stuff I try to repair I finally bought a driver bit kit from MCM Electronics. It contains 108 different bits in just about every style I ever run in to. Some are what they call Security bits and others are just different types of Phillips screws. If you ever try to repair a Mr. coffee machine you will find some mighty strange screws but the 108 piece set has the driver for them and most other things I run across. Allen heads with a post in the middle and Torx with the same post that won't allow a standard bit to connect. Think the kit was around $20 on sale and well worth it.

GaryL

#13 ·
About all I can add here is if a Phillips head driver fits sloppy in the grooves then stop and get a different driver that fits snug. Every TW I have ever worked on had a few well rounded heads and were a PITA to get out.

GaryL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.