planning an experiment with stock chain longevity.
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: planning an experiment with stock chain longevity.

planning an experiment with stock chain longevity.

While I now have an x-ring chain on order and coming tomorrow, I want to get some hard data on one of T-Dub's despised stock chains(my own). When I got the 2013 at the beginning of Aug. it had 2 miles on it and today at the beginning of the test 732. I have cleaned and lubed 3 times now and tightened for the 1st time today. Originally the bike came slightly tighter than spec.(no weight on bike, bike in neutral and total chain slack 35-60 mm. i.e. 1.38 to 2.36 inches.) I turned 1 click on adjusters and got 1.5 inches in value. and checked break pedal of course for approx. 1" free travel and axle nut back to 65 ftlbs. I am no fan of big mud or deep water, and I ride 75% hard top or light surface so that will have to be factored in. Will advise on my results over time.
    Last edited by dogonit; 09-04-2014 at 03:23 PM.

The stock chain on my bike seemed to require adjustment daily. I think I have adjusted the x-ring chain twice in about 6500 miles. I cleaned the stock chain religiously, because it was my first new bike. Can't remember the last time the x-ring was cleaned. If I had it to do over I would have thrown the stock chain in the trash from the start.

I think I had my stock chain on from new to up to about 6000 miles. And still was only at # 4 or 5 on the snake. Eventually the chain was hard to adjust. Too tight on top and too loose on bottom. So I switched to an O-ring chain. I looked at the sprockets and they were still great so I left them on, front and back. I now have over 20,000 miles on that TW and still have the first set of sprockets on.
    On my second TW I have 7800 miles on and also still original chain and sprocket. I know that everybody slams the chain but for me it worked fine. I will, however switch to an O-ring on the second bike soon, too. Does anybody else has the same experience with the original chain?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi howardgene63: Yep, that's the response I have seen and received(you are litttletommys soulmate on this) and I'm not questioning it's limitations.. I know the stocker isn't much. But I like to see things for myself. I also like data. If I have to adjust every 200 miles say after 1 K, then it comes off immediately.

Hi Peter: what kind of riding do you do? Just trying to get a picture. Also what kind of chain maintenance do you practice?

The Admiral has been running an experiment regarding chain longevity for a while. It will be interesting to compare notes with his findings.

My TW has 3062 hard mostly back country miles on it. I have re-sprocketed to 14/55 for the type of riding I am doing. I have jumped the chain twice in the last 2 years. The last time it caused a slight fracture outward in the side case cover. I have a replacement chain(O-ring) and new sprockets for the front and rear and will make replacing them the first modification for my 2005.

I have read several posters remarks about chain maintenance and plan on following the protocol suggested by several who seem to be much more diligent regarding chain care than I have been over the last many years. My old standby approach to chain care has been to spray it with hydraulic transmission fluid whenever it started to get really dry. I never did break a chain but have had them to the point where I had to adjust every time I went riding.

After 55 years of riding various dirt bikes, it is possible that I am still educable.

Happy Trails All

Ron in Boise

Planning on replacing my stock chain with an o-ring chain myself. How many links for the 2013 TW?

122 links if stock gears.

Wash the chain in kerosine, soak over night in 140 wt gear oil from O'Reilly's. You have to remove the chain to do it right. Let it drip until it stops then wipe off the excess. It is messy but if you want chain longevity this will do it.

Do it every 300 to 350 miles OR after every dirt ride. My DID non o-ring chain has about 27K miles on it and according to stretch measurements it is just over half worn out.

Exciting picture I have posted before. It is a chain soaking in oil. You can see streaks of dirty oil / kerosine in the clean oil if you expand the picture.

Chain soaking.JPG
    Last edited by elime; 09-05-2014 at 01:49 AM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    Hi Peter: what kind of riding do you do? Just trying to get a picture. Also what kind of chain maintenance do you practice?
    Dogonit, I use my bikes as a daily commuter instead of my very thirsty Dodge Durango. So I do about 90% road and 10% off road. Clean the bike about every two weeks and that is when I also oil the chain. I use simple motor oil. Used to use graphite but for the past 2 years just motor oil. Have not adjusted the stock chain in probably 3000 miles on the second bike and only once on the other bike with the O-ring chain in about 14000 miles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links