New Tire= New Ride
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: New Tire= New Ride

New Tire= New Ride

I just wanted to thank the members here for the solid advice and encourage others who have not yet replaced their front tire.

After 800 miles on my '14 TUU, I wised up and put on a Shinko SR244 5.1. It easily allows me to ride 5+mph faster in gravel, not to mention dirt road "U"-turns without slipping. Getting out of trail ruts is a breeze now (relative to what it was anyway). I am not saying that another tire (i.e. Kenda K270) would not be as good or better, just that I am very happy with the Shinko and it feels like a new ride. Only wish I had had put this on sooner.

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    I gather most TDubbers go with the 5.10. Anybody recommend the 4.60 and why ?
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    Others may have more sophisticated input. My rationale for the 5.10 is that it was the same width as the stock Bridgestone (130mm = 5.1 inches). I want as much traction as possible, I saw no reason to go with a thinner tire. The knobbies stick out more than 5.1, but it works perfectly fine on my stock bike. BTW, I failed to mention that the Shinko compound of the tire is very soft (i.e. nice ride on road too).
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    I debated both options but ended up going with the 4.60 to save some weight. I have been happy with it but I may try the 5.10 next time to compare the two.
    Fred likes this.

I have 4.60 and all I can say is it handles fine on and off road. I have yet to see a statistical traction, control, endurance test of the two. I think you can count on either. Oh, and Explorer, I agree that it seems a smoother ride and also to dampen handle vibration, particularly at over 50mph.
    Last edited by dogonit; 09-11-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    Dave-o likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    I have 4.60 and all I can say is it handles fine on and off road. I have yet to see a statistical traction, control, endurance test of the two. I think you can count on either. Oh, and Explorer, I agree that it seems a smoother ride and also to dampen handle vibration, particularly at over 50mph.
    Dogonit is right. This afternoon I rode a rough paved road on my way to some trails/old mining roads between 45 & 55 mph. I looked in my side mirrors and I COULD SEE what was behind me. It used to be a blurr with the Bridgestone. I feel so much more comfortable riding loose rock now. I know I had some dumps due to that stock tire.

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Thanks, Guys. I think I'll order up a 5.1.

Will
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

When I got my SR244 a few years back, talk of this tire was relatively new and I happened to see one listed on the local craigslist for $20. It was a 5.10, but had it been the 4.60 I'd probably have bought that too. In short, size did not matter . Other than the stock tire I have nothing to compare with the 5.10 SR244. This winter I am gonna buy a SR241 to see how it will work for me and where I ride.

Someone did mention that the 5.10 they got for their TW, barely fit with the stock fender. Close tolerance I suppose. I didn't notice this for myself, but eventually installed a high fender because I liked the look. Never had a problem with fender clearance. Just so you are aware!
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I got the 244 4.60 on the front and a new Bridgestone on the rear. Much better than the 25 yr old originals (less than 3000 miles on them) in all respects especially noise and vibration..
    Dave-o likes this.

Will,
    I have the 5.10 on both of my TW's. The one you took a spin on when we did your jet and shim mod had the 244 5.10 on it when you rode it. Its really good both on road and off compared to the stock bridgestone.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links