I'm Sorry to Ask, But....
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I'm Sorry to Ask, But....

I'm Sorry to Ask, But....

You senior forum members probably tire of hearing the same topics repeated endlessly, but here goes:

Why do so many forum members dislike the stock front tire?

A forum search on "stock front tire" seemed to bring up practically every thread ever posted! I just couldn't read every thread that had some vague reference to the front tire.

Please throw this newbie a bone and educate me

Thank you!

Mines OK!
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

I'm not sure if it's the tire or just the weight of the front end.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, I was thinking the same thing. The stock front tire seems just fine on pavement, but just last week I got a chance to do a little more off road ridding. In lose stuff like sand and mud the front end wants to wash out really bad. I've read the sticky on front tire choices and am trying to decide between the Shinko 241 and 244.

It's not bad until you put a better tire on. Then you'll know...
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Mine was the tire! But my TW is a 99 and most likely was original. It was old dry and wore out! I got the Shinko 244 in 5.10 and liked that it was quieter than stock less mirror vibration too. But wasn't happy with my handling. I lowered air pressure and was a little happier. I then got a different tire gauge and found my air pressure was still higher than I'd like. Lowered to 18psi per new gauge. I'm now very happy with it!
    Dave-o likes this.

rbm
    It just plain sucks! It slips on grass or dirt and is less than confidence inspiring on pavement. Just wait until you decide to put something else on the front, you'll see... Read the posts and trust the advice, if anyone's happy with the stocker they'll be more than pleased when you change it. It's just one of those things some will have to experience to believe. BTW, I have a goldenboy and can lean the bike over just about to the pegs on the street with no issues.
    Dave-o likes this.

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    It is an okay tire for on the road, but when you want to take your Trailway... to the trail, it has poor traction off-road with a high tendency to wash out. A better front tire is simply the best modification you can make to this bike, and it won't cost much money. Like others have said, you may not realize how bad it is until you've gotten time on a better tire. The Shinko 244 & 241 models seem to be the most popular for dual-sporting use here. You can of course find more, or less aggressive options. There is a whole front tire thread that will talk about pretty much all of the choices for the TW.
    Dave-o likes this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Actually, the stock front tire isn't all that bad, the stock rear tire is all that good that's the problem.

dogonit and Skyking like this.

Front tire is not great on pavement either. I've had mine wash on black top. It's ok when compared to tires from the 80s barely. There are such better choices out there, you should wear yours out and replace it with something else.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links