First ride on my shinko 5.10
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: First ride on my shinko 5.10

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH

First ride on my shinko 5.10

I got the 244 mounted this morning and took it for a ride. First impressions: I want to run the tire in fior a while before I really pushed it but my initial impression was: it will take a little getting used to, on tar it seemed to make the bike more willing to take sharp turns. much smoother on some of our rough tar roads, on the gravel/dirt roads the tire didn't seem as planted as the oem, it would roll around over the one inch stone, a bit like riding on ball bearings. I will say manyn of the gravel roads around here have recently had more stone and sand added and the clay in the mix hasn't set up yet. I weigh about 180 and so I put 18lbs in both tires. Dirt/gravel roads are about as challenging as I get these days (75). I'm tempted to let a little more air out of the front. Thoughts ?

Will
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

rbm
    What pressure are you using? I love 16 to 18 psi in mine.

Hey Will, I go by the fact that the air recommendations are for street in the manual, so you are good at 18 for street, try it at 15 and see what you think. When you get them dialed in after experimenting a little, it's like your bike is glued to the earth! almost.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm, I've got 18 psi in both front and rear.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

rbm
    Try lowering it a LITTLE.

Agree with littletommy and rbm for off road, I went as low as 14 at one point but weigh less. However, for my 75/25 road and off I stick with the 18. It is not as good with gravel, but I feel that with a basically 50/50 on off road tire that it does seem to handle a bit better on pavement. Having said that, I don't think you would go wrong trying a couple lb. drop and see have you feel. And front tire is Shinko 4.60, so things may vary.
    Last edited by dogonit; 09-19-2014 at 07:44 PM.

At 18 + psi., when riding on gravel/off-road, my SR244 feels like I'm riding on ice. I always air it down to between 10-12 psi off-road. If riding a mix of gravel-pavement and don't have a small air compressor with you, you're gonna have to compromise and run a little lower than you want for pavement and higher than you want for off-road. You'll want to experiment like the folks up above have mentioned to get what will feel comfortable you. Experiment.
    goldenhtr likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

When I got it back from the dealer, the tire must have had 30psi in it, just like when I took delivery of the bike a year ago. When I got the bike unloaded at home I reset everything to 18psi and you're right Admiral, it did feel a little like riding on ice. Later today I'll experiment.

Tommy, do Admirals comments above fit with your experience?

Will

indicator.

Also, the tire will take about 50 miles on pavement to scrub in (break in). Although it may always feel a bit wobbly on the wrong kind of gravel (i.e. roundish 1/2 inch) it will actually grip better than the stock when turning, and MUCH better in rocks and dirt. You just get used to it after a while and let the front wiggle a bit without fighting it.

I'd try about 14 psi if your pavement distances are only about 5 miles or so.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    When I got it back from the dealer, the tire must have had 30psi in it, just like when I took delivery of the bike a year ago. When I got the bike unloaded at home I reset everything to 18psi and you're right Admiral, it did feel a little like riding on ice. Later today I'll experiment.

Tommy, do Admirals comments above fit with your experience?

Will
    Yes they do Will. I'm a big guy, probably one of the biggest guys here. I run 22/25 on the street. For me, if I go to 18 my ride is better off road and sometimes I use that for both. I have never aired down to 10 or 12, but have used 15 front 16 rear and it is definitely better for me off road. You have to experiment. Once you find that sweet spot, the bike really grips well, better than you expect it to.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Sponosred Links