Banshee Shock - Lessons Learned
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Problem = I'm 260 lbs, '03 TW outfitted with Happy-Trails hard cases and auxiliary fuel tank hanging off of a cycle rack. Too much weight for proper ride height. After market muffler occasionally rubs rear tire.

Solution = install rear shock from Yamaha Banshee ATV.

Outcome = poor! Curb height increased substantially. Loaded ride height decrease substantially, even with adjustment setting at maximum.

Solution # 2 - reinstall stock shock after adjusting to maximum ride height. This didn't raise curb height as much as the Banshee shock, but the bike leans noticeably more while on kick stand.

Problem solved.

FYI

Next upgrade = Jimbo windshield (assuming I can find Jimbo)

Alot has been written and presented on the old forum regarding the Banshee shock mod. Rodrey brought to light this great option and for him, it worked fine right out of the 'box'. A couple of others had issues with the spring (weak?) as well. In my opinion, the Banshee is hands-down, a much better shock unit. Though no one has tried this, perhaps the best marriage would be between the Banshee body and the TW spring. Moving in that direction would require you to fabricate a 'simple' spacer as the TW spring is a bit shorter. On my unit, I installed a V-Star spring that I had from a previous mod. This project netted me a very adjustable shock and a smooooth ride. Thanks again Rodrey. Gerry

my first mod is the V-Star unit on top ( thanks Jeff). on the bottom is the Banshee with V-Star spring.

** With mods come limitations and concerns, use care **

Take care my Friend.........

jvt
    Quote Originally Posted by immgunn View Post
    Problem = I'm 260 lbs, '03 TW outfitted with Happy-Trails hard cases and auxiliary fuel tank hanging off of a cycle rack. Too much weight for proper ride height. After market muffler occasionally rubs rear tire.

Solution = install rear shock from Yamaha Banshee ATV.

Outcome = poor! Curb height increased substantially. Loaded ride height decrease substantially, even with adjustment setting at maximum.

Solution # 2 - reinstall stock shock after adjusting to maximum ride height. This didn't raise curb height as much as the Banshee shock, but the bike leans noticeably more while on kick stand.

Problem solved.

FYI

Next upgrade = Jimbo windshield (assuming I can find Jimbo)
    I been wanting to try the shock. It it for sale??

Jim

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JimV View Post
    I been wanting to try the shock. It it for sale??

Jim

Sorry, but it sold instantly on ebay.

I put the R6 shock on mine (love it) but if I had it to do over again, the Banshee shock would be the way to go. The R6 mod was more complicated than I would have liked, but did allow me to spend a lot of time in the garage on dreary winter days. Reworking the airbox was worse than welding the swingarm. Then when the stock exhaust didn't clear the shock body I couldn't ride until a new FMF pipe arrived adding significant unexpected cost to the swap.

What did the R6 setup bring to the party? Longer travel? Softer/harder ride? Overload capabilities? Some combination thereof? I'm curious!

Don't forget, there is another option that people have used... the Blaster shock.

I haven't really ridden it yet (still building my bike), but more info about installation and fit is available here.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

The R6 shock raised the ride height, (and is adjustable for going even higher) has compression, preload and rebound adjustments. Even before dialing it in it rode very plush, now its even better. The TW isn't much for jumping so I haven't tried that out but would logically assume a better action there too.

I parted with 24.00 and my Blaster shock is on it's way to me.. Hopefully it will get here by my next day off and I can spend the afternoon working on it.

Sooo.. get ready for more questions Catamount !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sooo.. get ready for more questions Catamount !!

+1. I got my hands on a Blaster shock for $20 on eBay. Got here yesterday -- not sure when I'll have time to install it, but I'm sure I'll have questions.

The unit I got has a white spring. My guess is the spring color just changed with the color schemes from year to year, anyone know for sure?

trey
    '97 TW200

'07 Bandit 1250SA

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links