Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Werloc
  • 1 Post By docjekyll2002
  • 1 Post By littletommy

Thread: O-Ring Chain Deceleration?

O-Ring Chain Deceleration?

Hi guys (and gals),

I just finished my first ride with the new o-ring chain. When I let off the throttle, the bike seems to decelerate much more quickly than before, almost as if it were engine braking. Chain tension seems to be correct.

Is this due to the new chain, my imagination, or something else entirely? If due to the new chain, will this change or improve over time?

Thanks!

Yep, what he said^^^
    Ski Pro 3 and Dave-o like this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I just got an email from Turborob and Kath. They are the Aussie couple who bought both of my TWs back in July and have driven them cross country in 4 months. They have logged over 10,000 miles so far. Both bikes left here with new sprockets and new DID X ring chains. Since this would be a good testament to how the chains are holding up I had to ask. Rob says they are doing great! He has not adjusted one at all and only adjusted the other one notch on the snails in over 10 K miles.

If this real time/mile test does not convince you then nothing will. I only ever put 400 miles on the 1991 bike and with the stock chain in good shape. The bike had 671 original miles when I got it and just over 1,000 when I switched to new sprockets and X chains and sold the bike. I had to adjust the stock chain the day I got the bike and again after only 250 miles and it took two notches on the snails to get it in spec. 10,000 miles and no adjustment needed! WOW.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Check for rear brake drag when u try pushing the bike in neutral. My o-ring chain stretched out a few days ago after i was jumping the TW. My rear brake free play locknut and bolt had also loosened up to the point that my rear brake was being activated too early.
    Dave-o likes this.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice!

I have recently switched to an o-ring chain, and the only thing I noticed is that I have less vibration. That, and I'm not having to adjust it all the time.

Somebody please tell me what an x-ring chain is.

Possibly better protection with an extra layer of protection.

Skyking likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    They have logged over 10,000 miles.............................. If this real time/mile test does not convince you then nothing will. ............................... 10,000 miles and no adjustment needed! WOW.
    Agreed -- WOW! What maintenance was done to the chains? Were they mainly/totally ridden on the street? I would think riding off road would be harder on the chains.

Just an aside, my hypothesis is the stock chains that came with the bikes were never oiled before you got them -- just some rust preventative oil sprayed on at the factory. Under those conditions the chains will deteriorate very quickly, I figure starting around 200 miles and total junk at 1,000 miles.

I wish someone would buy a brand new bike and before riding it soak the chain in 140wt oil and do it again every 300 miles and then report after 1,000 miles how well the chain is or isn't doing. Of course there will be oil fling and a mess and this may prove intolerable on a brand new motorcycle but it would satisfy my curiosity.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links