Source for reliable 6VAC LEDs for dash indicator lights?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bananachunks

Thread: Source for reliable 6VAC LEDs for dash indicator lights?

Source for reliable 6VAC LEDs for dash indicator lights?

That aren't complete and utter gobshite like the ones from superbrightleds.com? I've only ever had two last more than a few weeks, most for about a week or so. Just got another 10, and the first 3 I installed popped their nipples (uh huh), the last one causing my fuse to blow (wow, take that however you may). Maybe I should just go back to standard bulbs in High Beam and Neutral, leaving the LED lottery for the Turn Indicator (future LED turn signals install)...

TIA
    2018 CB500XA - Rally Raid: Level 2 Suspension/Wheels, Engine guard / bash plate, Pannier racks, Wide pegs, Rear brake reservoir guard, ABS switch, Radiator screen, kickstand shoe. Barkbuster/Storm. Palmer windshield adjuster w/ accessory bar. Savage steering damper, levers, and rear rack. Givi Trekker Outback 42L Top Case and Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags. 50W 3" spot/flood pods. Scorpion Serket Taper slip-on.

Maybe talk to the folks at Fry's electronics and wire up your own circuits from diode and resistor. Or talk to superbrightled again, they may have ommited telling you need for matching resistance to limit current to 200 milliamps or so.Those light emitting diodes are very polarity and amperage sensitive and it sounds like not enough resistence in your circuit thus too many milliamps are burning out your l.e.d.s. You certainly should not have blown a fuse either, real head scratcher.
    Last edited by Fred; 10-20-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I got mine on ebay and they've been in for 2 years without any problems. I don't remember which seller I got them from but I'm sure it was a Chinese one. If you search for 'ba9s led smd dash' you will see a bunch of different styles.

Pic of mine. For some reason led won't work in my flasher indicator. I have led turn signals and an electronic flasher but have to run an incandescent indicator light.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    You certainly should not have blown a fuse either, real head scratcher.
    When the nipple on the bottom pushed in, it touched the side of the bulb, shorting it. And thanks for reiterating the resistance/milliamp stuffs from the last time you heard me complain about these bulbs. But even with all of the electrics properly in place, their bulbs are just physically poop. That bottom nubbin shouldn't invert with such light force.

Tirebiter - thank you! Weird that the LED doesn't work for you - do you have the diode setup? I've read that for LED blinkers, one has to then either throw the diode in, use an LED bulb, or just take the bulb out altogether.

It's more than possible that I got the bulb incorrect from a previous, older thread about LED dash bulbs. This is what I've been getting: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-bulb-1-led/4/

The path to where I am on this is old, long, and forgotten. Most likely I started by ordering the wrong bulbs, and continued the tradition by using previous order emails for new orders. I'll be the first person to admit how mechanically ignorant I am. I'll try the correct 12v bulbs and hope for stronger nipples.
    Fred likes this.

Just ordered 5. Really hoping it was just me blindly ordering the wrong item. Thanks Ski Pro 3!

I haven't had any trouble with their LED's in either of my TW's('99 & '04). I did receive one bad bulb in my order. The center contact was pushed in. They replaced it without question.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Put the bulbs in last night. First bulb's nipple / center contact pushed in right off the bat, so one bulb down already. Three put in place, with one spare. Hopefully that takes care of things.

Sponosred Links