Handicapped Accessible TW
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Handicapped Accessible TW

Handicapped Accessible TW

I had a very strange idea while riding my Son on the TW today. My 20 year old Son is autistic. When he was younger he had a Honda Z50 with the training wheels that went across the bottom of the frame under the engine and had 2 flotation type tires. He was very good with it, he had good throttle control and enjoyed it very much. He also had a Honda atc 70. In the time that he was riding these I spent a great deal of time trying to teach him to ride a 2 wheeled bicycle but he is still unable to master that skill. When he grew out of those 2 I wanted to get him a quad but he did not want one. He likes to ride on the back of my bikes but since I got the TW he only wants to go on that one. Before that he liked riding on the back of my GS. I recently brought home a KTM 450 and he does not even want a ride on it, he prefers the TW. What I am considering doing is having a set of wheels similar to the Z50 but on a larger scale fabricated for the TW. He would only be riding in the sand by my house and since he won't change gears it would be at first gear speed until he learns to shift. Keep in mind that he drives my F-250 on the beach and is a good driver. I miss that huge grin he had while riding that Z50 and ATC70. I'm thinking about using my Roll EEz beach dolly wheels/tires and axles and will have to think about the geometry from the drop axle. I would appreciate any input and ideas.
    Fred, Bruce's, Peterb and 3 others like this.

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    what a cool idea. A fellow here wanted to do a similar idea with a Goldwing as he was ageing and wanted the security. I will see if I can find the stuff he showed me.
    Ebbanflood likes this.

just did a quick net search... there is a fair bit of inspiration available. I searched "motorcycle outriggers" good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Ebbanflood likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm thinking on it. I think you might be able to get by with full size pneumatic wheelbarrow tires, which would ease fabrication. I'm also thinking you might be able to bar mount them under the engine cradle and avoid additional engineering problems. I'll bounce it off the boys on shop night.
    ZDR1 likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yes, That is what was on the Z50.

Now I am thinking this for the starting point for the axle

With these tires

looks like you are almost there! Will you give the outriggers any suspension/flex to accommodate uneven terrain?
    Fred likes this.

I would try to get a stoutly mounted tube under the frame to act as a receiver. Then build your out-riggers to slide inside to be secured with high strength lynch pins. Pull two pins and you are close to stock again.

Damnit, Jim, If you were closer I would have the boys here, the plasma cutter and mig fired up and we would solve that problem yet tonight.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I don't think so, the Wheel EEZ tires only have a few pounds in them and should flex a lot. You do have me thinking now...... I'm open to suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by troll View Post
    looks like you are almost there! Will you give the outriggers any suspension/flex to accommodate uneven terrain?

That is a very good idea. I am also thinking of the bolts through the skid plate into the frame, there are 4 of them. That is how the Z50 mounted.
    And if I was closer to you, we would both be in a lot of trouble on a frequent basis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I would try to get a stoutly mounted tube under the frame to act as a receiver. Then build your out-riggers to slide inside to be secured with high strength lynch pins. Pull two pins and you are close to stock again.

Damnit, Jim, If you were closer I would have the boys here, the plasma cutter and mig fired up and we would solve that problem yet tonight.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links