Heated Grips
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Heated Grips

Heated Grips

It's starting to get a little chilly up here in Upstate NY and I've been trying to weigh some different options to keep my hands a little warmer. Anything from some of those oven mitts snowmobile guys use, to some quality gloves. I head home from work around 1130 or midnight or so I tend to get a good bit of windchill on my rides home. I tried using some big think nice cold weather gloves I had laying around but I greatly disliked how the negatively affected my ability to manipulate my controls. Mitts seem like a good alternative but I guess knowing my hands are...trapped? Or something like that in a mitt kinda makes me uneasy, maybe that feeling is unwarranted as I don't have any experience with them. The most viable option I feel is a some thin cold weather gloves and heated grips. These ones in particular.

Amazon.com: Tusk Grip Heater Kit: Automotive

So that was a long way of asking what everyone else does once the fun part of the riding year starts. Thank you gentlemen.

rbm
    Check out the Oxford heated grips, good quality and easy installation.

Oxford.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I use Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner. 2013 TW and it handles the load just fine Mark

Another option from what is listed above, is the ATV Mitts as you mentioned.

My only opposition to electrical warming devices is I didn't want to mess with anything electrical to keep me warm if I can help it. Otherwise I think electrically heat equipment is pretty good. If you decided to go with electrical warming gear, you may still want to use ATV Mitts in conjunction with the electrical stuff.

Not sure of the expensive of the electrically heated gear, but the ATV Mitts can be inexpensive by my standards ($20 ish).

I've used my ATV Mitts for several years now and have been very satisfied. I can wear my regular motocross style gloves, or thinly insulated one's without my hands/fingers getting cold. Never wear the thick winter gloves with the ATV Mitts. I too worried about my hands having that "trapped feeling", but this has never been an issue. I can get my hands out quite quickly if need be. I've never fallen on the trail with my hands still on the bars.

I did have to make a modification on the ATV Mitts to accommodate the mirrors. I had to cut a slit in the ATV Mitts so they could slip past the mirror stems. I just sewed the parts I cut so the stuffing wouldn't fall out. I also zip tie them in conjunction with the attached ATV Mitt straps.

Here's a picture of mine

Some sample prices from this Amazon search. $12-$35 dollars or so

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8x4ghfwdrw_b
    TopPredator and Hoot Gibson like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Another option from what is listed above, is the ATV Mitts as you mentioned.

My only opposition to electrical warming devices is I didn't want to mess with anything electrical to keep me warm if I can help it. Otherwise I think electrically heat equipment is pretty good. If you decided to go with electrical warming gear, you may still want to use ATV Mitts in conjunction with the electrical stuff.

Not sure of the expensive of the electrically heated gear, but the ATV Mitts can be inexpensive by my standards ($20 ish).

I've used my ATV Mitts for several years now and have been very satisfied. I can wear my regular motocross style gloves, or thinly insulated one's without my hands/fingers getting cold. Never wear the thick winter gloves with the ATV Mitts. I too worried about my hands having that "trapped feeling", but this has never been an issue. I can get my hands out quite quickly if need be. I've never fallen on the trail with my hands still on the bars.

I did have to make a modification on the ATV Mitts to accommodate the mirrors. I had to cut a slit in the ATV Mitts so they could slip past the mirror stems. I just sewed the parts I cut so the stuffing wouldn't fall out. I also zip tie them in conjunction with the attached ATV Mitt straps.

Here's a picture of mine

Some sample prices from this Amazon search. $12-$35 dollars or so

Amazon.com: atv hand mitts
    Admiral. You are truly the Admiral. That picture of your bike speaks volumes.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    Anybody interested in heated grips might want to check out the Aerostitch Rider Warehouse catalog. They are a very reliable outfit.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

I put Oxford Heaters on mine and I'm very happy with them and the controller Amazon.com: Oxford OF768Z Heaterz ATV Heated Handlebar Grips: Automotive
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Cold really bothers all the healed fractures in my fingers and hands, 28 at last count). All the bikes I actually ride have grip heaters. Cheap stuff with no name from China. I buy 2 sets of grips then use a throttle size on the left side over several layers of heat shrink tubing. The heat shrink insulates the heater from the bars just as the throttle tube does on the right, so the heater gets warmer faster than when the bars conduct the heat away. The extra 2 grips fit ATVs (no throttle) perfectly, and make a nice gift to friends with ATVs.

I also use Hippo Hands or cheaper homemade devices sans insulation over brush guards to keep them off the levers on the highway. Between the grip heaters and the Hippo Hands I wear a good pair of insulated winter gloves with a waterproof and windproof cover. All my winter gloves are the gauntlet type that close tightly with a drawstring well above the wrist--keeps the wind and rain out.

The grip heaters I use come with a 3-position switch: high, low, and off. Low simply has a resistor in series with the heaters. I found myself turning the heaters on and off constantly, so wired in a second switch AFTER the original on the low side circuit with that is on, off, on, in series with resistors the same and double the stock resistance of the low side resistor, so now I have high, low, low-low, and low-low-low. Low-low-low is perfect for balmy days and I don't have to keep cycling the system off and on. Low is perfect for way colder than I need to be riding. High is only for initial warm up.

I've got the Oxford grips and love them. Charging system keeps up with them and no problems so far.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links