TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Added LED light to front of bike today

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  frog13 
#1 ·
I buddy of mine gave me a Truck Lite LED flood light today and I put it on the TW.I spliced into the "high beam " wire and used the screw/bolt that holds on the fairing to mount the light.It only comes on when I use the high beams. It really brightened up the road. I ride country farm roads mostly and deer are a big issue. With no street light, it gets really dark here. Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Tire
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light Vehicle Auto part
Product Text Font Label Plastic

See less See more
#3 ·
Funny. I just installed two just like yours only mine are 4 bulb not five. About 2.5". I took off the side reflectors in front, drilled out those holes and attached them there. I aim them a little to each side giving me more light to detect suicidal critters before they leap in front of me. ***** and possum love dying on pavement for some reason. They were $32 and change and water proof. Ran them to a separate rocker switch I installed on the handlebars.

#9 ·
I don't think you will brake the new light it is stronger then the fender that will push it into your headlight so order a new fender and headlight just incase.

Reactions: Fred
#10 ·
Get a second light and longer bolts for the triple clamp make a mounting bracket and have one on each side of the forks and you will be Bad Ass!

#14 ·
Pics of my larger foot pegs and MSR shifter. Should work out nice. Also the LED auxiliary lights I installed using the bracket used for the front side reflectors. If I was more anal I'd cut the bolts down and get a nice acorn cap nut. But as a long time government employee my motto has always been "good enough". Of and a photo of my zombie apocalypse gear. A 20ga Mossberg pump, razor sharp machete and a nice Gerber fighting knife all in one place and ready to strap on. Waders
Gun Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Trigger
Auto part
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Windshield Motorcycle accessories
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive fog light
Waders
Gun Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Trigger
Auto part
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Windshield Motorcycle accessories
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive fog light

#15 ·
When you cut the bolt to length (that look doesn't do you justice) are you going to put a lock-nut on there? I suppose you used thread-lock of some sort? :) I really like your idea. I suppose you have an angle-grinder? Use your cut-off wheel, takes a few seconds. If you don't have one, get one, every man should have one, don't embarrass yourself.

On my 4x4 I have wide-angle lights on the front bumper. I also direct the beams way outward to the sides. When I am cranking my wheel for a turn in the middle of the night on a narrow two-track in the Sierras that turns WAY sharp, drops down ten feet and crosses a gulley I just can't see where I am going without them.

Coupla days ago I was on my Honda Silver Wing (600cc scooter-thingee) following a twisty road along the river, rocks, mtn on one side, rocks, trees, river on the other, deer jumping out of trees, o'possums trundling across in front of me, drunks taking their lane in the middle, hot-rodders drifting into my lane, earth quakes, magma, subduction zones, it was quite a ride. Anyway, I realized that the scooter needs lights directed outward also. How can you burn up the road, scrape your body panels on the asphalt and try out your new dual-compound Michelins WITHOUT seeing where you are going?

For those who haven't investigated the available electrical power issue, when I got my Honda Reflex (250cc scooter) which had no kick start and lacks the ability to be push started, I put an LED device on the dash. It is a small light that changes color as it monitors the system voltage. It has several colors, think maybe four, and you always know at a glance what the charging system is doing. Drill one small hole. Connect to hot-wire. Think I paid about $25 for it maybe five-six years ago. Gonna put one on my ultralight airplane too, if I install the electric starter I have sitting in the hangar.

GeoB
My computer may have beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kick-boxing

#16 ·
You assume too much. my good man! I have an angle grinder and a chop saw and any number of power tools that can do the job. Just wanted a temp install to see how they look. But the TW is supposed to look "industrial" anyway. I will end up uninstalling them to cut the bolt to length and use an acorn cap nut with blue lock tight and then wire them in with my soldering iron not inferior crimp connectors (just in case you might be wondering). :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.