Anybody use pirelli M1 front tire?
Close

Anybody use pirelli M21 front tire?

My riding conditions an mid GA. will be dry and wet red clay and loose gravel roads, some trail riding with lots of roots and slick mud.

I know the factory front is crap, just in the little riding I've done getting this thing running right, the front feels about the same on my gravel drive as the front on my Sportster.

I've looked at the Shinko 244 that most seem to like but I will not be riding on sand dunes or big dry rocky areas like folks out west and the tread on the 244 looks like it clog easily in mud and slip on over the top on gravel roads.

So, any opinions for the Georgia area.

The size I was thinking about is the M21 120/90/18

Forum member asked this same question last year. https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...-18-front.html

I have no knowledge of someone's experience with it. Most likely the Pirelli is not real popular due to it's cost and it's more expensive than the alternative Shinko's and Kenda's, though I'm sure there has to be someone who's experimented.

If your pocket book has enough in it, give it a try and let us know how it performs. Choices are always welcome!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Price is always a concern but, so is function. This is why I ask questions rather than being the first test subject. I don't want to buy twice. Tires vary from one region to the next for what is the best, and even then, from one user to another no matter the terrain or vehicle.

If you haven't looked here, check it out: https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...e-choices.html

The Pirelli is advertised as 90% dirt, 10% pavement. It is not as aggressive as the Kenda 760, but close. I agree that the Kenda 270 or Shinko 244 would not be real good in mud, where you want the most aggressive tread possible, but I disagree about gravel. My Kenda 270 does real well in gravel at 12-14 psi, until the gravel turns to 2 inch minus rock three inches deep! Everyone with a 244 reports the same.

I'd say if you almost never get on pavement at speed you would be real happy with the Pirelli. This is not the case for me and I think the Kenda or Shinko is a MUCH better choice for 50/50 or 60/40 dirt/pavement. I'd be willing to bet that you might even like the Shinko over the Pirelli on gravel.....but, maybe not. In clay, I'd probably choose the Kenda 760.

I ended up buying the Kenda 270 three years ago, but in 120/80/18, unlike most others. I wanted the lightest tire in that tread pattern, and after 6,000 miles I'm still totally satisfied. I ride a LOT of gravel, and about 10 miles of slab at 60 mph almost every time I go riding. Clay and mud are not in my vocabulary.....
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Kenda TrakMaster is too aggressive for any but the most limited street use, but works extremely well in mud, including the tricky skim-coated packed clay.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to keep looking until the first of the year so keep the info flowing.

Sponosred Links