Adding LED lights to front rack?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Adding LED lights to front rack?

Question Adding LED lights to front rack?

I have a front rack and it has the usual problem that a load there blocks the headlight. I would like to use the rack for day trips hunting, might occasionally come home in the dark with a load if I shoot a deer, etc., mostly on logging roads. I live in a remote location, not going to be in traffic very much.
    I got the rack with the bike, it looks like a Cyclerack. Tubular metal frame.
    So, I am considering adding some light to the front edge (or bottom)of the front rack. Maybe unplug the low beam on the headlight and rob power there, use the stock hi/lo switch to select. Or I could get power elsewhere and rig a new switch?
    Anybody done this? What lights did you use? How many watts can I powerup? Ideas on power/switch to make it work, and still have the headlamp for street use when not loading up the rack?

rbm

Might be cheaper and easier to just swap racks and sell the old one. I have this one on my bike. But this is a picture from the Man Racks site. Mine are on here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to hunt em up.

Welcome to ManRacks Click the page when it opens and it takes you to a TW.

I hate doing what I just did, not answer the question and serve up a "why don't you", but in this case it seems justified since it's an easy fix and the TW electrics ain't superman quality anyway.
    Last edited by Borneo; 12-19-2014 at 06:04 PM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh, just realized. First post. Welcome aboard. Nice place here.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Thanks for the Welcome.
    I 've been just looking, did not see an old thread about this idea so had to break silence.
    RBM, I saw those tie down/lights on another thread, was just wondering about what else, maybe something to mount further forward so the rack and its load would not block the light? I guess I could figure a way to do that with any small LED, say 9 watt, and cobble some kind of attachment. I read someones idea to undo the low beam just so you could turn off the headlight altogether when you didnt need it, thought maybe that is a way to switxch the LEDs, but then it would be one or the other, not both. Both might be nice sometimes. I could cobble that together too, just figured someone had already broken trail on this idea....
    Borneo, that looks like a nicer rack than mine, but smaller. Is the higher position more tippy, since it is moving the center of mass upwards? Could I enlarge it by mounting a panel on it?
    Along those lines, I had thought of just mounting a milk crate upside down on my existing rack and cutting holes through the front and back for the headlight beam to shine through, then putting the load on top of the milk crate. Not a pretty image, but neither am I. Oh and Yes I might be a redneck.

I load a heavy moose tool roll up there and don't even notice it's there, neither on the road or off road. And yes, you could easily add a plate. Along these lines. (I'd make it of course) Happy Trails Top Plate<br> T3 Universal - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

There are headlight relays that are double pole. High amp goes to one terminal when control power is on, to another terminal when control power is off. Wire a switch from the battery for control power and use the low beam hot for high amp supply. Easy peasy.

Easy peasy.
    Only for you Q, only for you. That above was English, right?
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

The tie down mounts use very affordable lights like these, only a couple of bucks, black or silver frames, two diameters, white, yellow, red or blue light2x Custom Black Anodized Aluminum 6500K Xenon White 4.5W SMD LED Eagle Eye Lamps Back…
    Complete light bars can be very affordable, a member has this under $20 unit mounted below headlight, you could mount this one to front of rack and wire directly into low beam pigtail SingPad Slim 18w Flood Beam LED Work Light 12V LED Spot Work Light 1800 ...
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

One can also mount a pair of CREE LED clusters to each fork leg outboard of rack, attach to triple tee clamps Nilight 2x 4" 18w 6 Cree LED SUV Off-road Boat Headlight Spot Driving Fog Light + Mounting… A pair of these 18 watt each 30 degree beam pattern would be significantly bright. Can also be directly mounted to fronton rack with minimal bracket work. Like all LEDs pay attention to polarity or you will blow diodes.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-19-2014 at 11:39 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links