Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By Werloc
  • 2 Post By joeband

Thread: My Suspension Mods

My Suspension Mods

I completed the suspension mods for now.

I put in 3/4" long PVC spacers in the front. Didn't take any picture's.

After reading Werloc's and many other posts on the subject, I modified the rear with a 3/16" Spacer (blue) and moved the circlip from the center position to the top position, which was another 3/16" on center of an inch. Just under 3/8" ish total.

Much firmer suspension now. I did ride yesterday, but it wasn't a fair enough sample as there was too much snow to ride aggressively. So far I like it, but hitting the rocky bumpy trails will be the real test.

Here's a photo of the spacer (blue) and the circlip moved to the top grove.

Another photo with it all put back together and in position.

I used the jack & ratchet strap spring compression method. Obviously the correct tool would be best, but it worked. Didn't have to worry about anything flying around as it was strapped in pretty good.

Last edited by admiral; 12-29-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Clever spring compression technique, very commendable.
    I know about a zip tie on forks to measure fork maximum travel but is there some way to tell how much rear shock travel is used after a good bouncy ride.? Just curious if you had been bottoming out either before or after recent stiffening of suspension with spacers and red hammer.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I don't know how to measure the rear travel. I've never heard of anyone doing that either.

To my recollection, I had never bottomed out the front. Only bottomed out the rear a few times that I remember. I don't think I'll be bottoming out now. Does not squat nearly as much with me sitting on it either. Georgie and I went on a ride out back yesterday. Lots of slippery snow, so I did some cross country riding. Tons and tons of Badger holes. I officially hate badgers. Anyway, rode over the mounds with Georgie on back and didn't bottom out at all, and there were lots of big mounds.

If I rode mostly street, I wouldn't bother with this mod, but seeing how I'm expanding my off-road riding time, seems like it will help. With the front spacers installed, I noticed an improvement going over the washboards in the gravel road. Smoother if you will or less skipping around if that makes sense.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice job Kris.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

You could rig your video cam looking at the rear somehow. Anyway, nice job.....
    admiral likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Red Hammer!
    Hekkler and admiral like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    You could rig your video cam looking at the rear somehow. Anyway, nice job.....
    Clever idea, never thought of this. Maybe I'll do this as a long term project. Not inclined to change back to stock for comparison's until at least Moab is over. ...but I'll keep it in mind.

Was thinking the shock needed an additional mod beyond spring compression!

Quote Originally Posted by TW2013 View Post
    Admiral, there is a way to check on rear shock travel. Take a acid brush...the small mechanics brush that you apply grease or anti-sieze to a part....and liberally apply a coating of any dark grease you have...timken bearing grease...Moly-B....anti-sieze....anything like that, to the shaft of the shock. Coat the shaft from top to bottom. Then, go ride the bike....hard. When you are done, and get off the bike, look at how much of that dark grease has been wiped away by the shock housing. If there is a little bit of dark grease left at the upper end of the shaft, then you have not bottomed out.

You silly guys from I-Duh-HO needs to come West, Young Man, and see what us older fellers in the state to the West of you are doing with our bikes....

Mike
    Well, that's an even better idea than using the camera and I'll do it. However, just for fun and the opportunity to mess with the camera, I'll use it too!

BLUF, it's on my radar and I'd love to ride up yonder sometime in the next couple years. Interested in the Olympic Peninsula area as I've never been there, and stupid that I didn't. When I was a whipper snapper, my first military duty station was at Ft. Lewis. I lived in the Tacoma/Olympia area for 3 years. Learned to ski at Crystal Mtn. Once I got over the cloudy rainy days and learned to not let it stop me (mostly), I learned to love it there. Full Circle, 27 years later, Ft. Lewis was my out-processing post when I retired.

Thanks again for the shock tip!

Sponosred Links