225 with a 6 speed - all the cool kids are doing it.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 225 with a 6 speed - all the cool kids are doing it.

225 with a 6 speed - all the cool kids are doing it.

I got the first few parts for my engine build so I thought I should start my build thread. Nothing too exciting yet. I ordered a TW output shaft to be machined and a TTR output shaft for reference. Hopefully I can get with my machinist this weekend and get the ball rolling. I'm sure you have all seen the shafts side by side but I'm going to post pictures of as many things as I can as I go mainly so I don't get confused.

I really appreciate everyone on this forum and all of the great info. I've been reading up for about 6 months before my first post and without this forum there's no way I would take on a project like this. So, with no more interruption. .. here we go!
    Last edited by doctorstupid; 01-10-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling :(
    joeband and Smitty Blackstone like this.

careful with that output shaft groove. that thing is tough. I burnt down a carbide bit in the lathe on the first attempt! I knew it was case hardened, but it tough. I mounted a die grinder to the tool rest on the second try and went very slowly. took me about an hour to cut the groove and make the washer.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I'm not one of the cool kids but I sure do like this type of thread. Good luck with your build.

Joemama

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by doctorstupid View Post
    I got the first few parts for my engine build so I thought I should start my build thread. Nothing too exciting yet. I ordered a TW output shaft to be machined and a TTR output shaft for reference. Hopefully I can get with my machinist this weekend and get the ball rolling. I'm sure you have all seen the shafts side by side but I'm going to post pictures of as many things as I can as I go mainly so I don't get confused.

I really appreciate everyone on this forum and all of the great info. I've been reading up for about 6 months before my first post and without this forum there's no way I would take on a project like this. So, with no more interruption. .. here we go!

Welcome to the forum? It's a simple build and a lot more fun to ride with the extra hp.

Ronnydog

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    careful with that output shaft groove. that thing is tough. I burnt down a carbide bit in the lathe on the first attempt! I knew it was case hardened, but it tough. I mounted a die grinder to the tool rest on the second try and went very slowly. took me about an hour to cut the groove and make the washer.
    What material did you make your washer out of? Did you machine it from a piece of solid stock?

I used just plain steel. 1" bar stock is perfect. I'm still trying to decide if I want to harden it. THere is a place in town that does large runs and I could probabt throw it in, however it has no load just a spacer.
    225 6 speed complete!
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Alrighty.
    The shaft from the TW still had the left side case bearing attached and I had to get a bearing puller to get it off but all is well and good and I'll be dropping them off at the machine shop tomorrow.

You can see in the picture that the snap ring groove on the TTR (top) shaft is closer to the left side so a second snap ring groove will be machined in the same position on the TW (bottom) shaft.

You can also see that the widest geared part in the middle of the shafts is slightly longer on the left side of the TTR shaft so a spacer will be made for the TW shaft to make up the difference.
    1420945784332.jpg

the bearing shouldnt pull out of the case like that. Seems as though the shaft corrodes on the exposed section and then doesnt want to come out of that bearing. I polished mine up so they come right out and you dont have to fight it.
    225 6 speed complete!

VG- it seemed like an awfully tight fit but I had nothing to compare it to. I'll get them to clean it up at the shop. The bearing seems to be in good shape so hopefully I can reuse it and press it into the left side case of the TTR so the TW shaft fits no problem.

Are the parts from the older TT 225 and the 225 4-wheelers interchangeable with the newer TTR and XT engines? Namely the jug? I know they won't have the aluminized coating but are they bolt on to the newer 225 engines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links