A few photos
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A few photos

A few photos

Well, I got a small case of the idle hands this winter break and decided to undertake a few minor projects on the old littlecow. Things that had been itching at me since I finished the bike last year...the year before? Anyway I'm not quite finished yet but I pushed the greasy old thing out of the garage this morning and I liked what I saw enough that I ran and got the camera. I thought you hollow modders might find it interesting.

Heres a pic of the "whole" bike with my kids trike next to it for scale.

Some of you might recall that my seat is held on with velcro, I extended that Idea to my battery, it is now held in with velcro as well and I made some extra long terminal wires for it so that I can take it out and set it aside without disconnecting it as shown in the picture , my bike is hollow modded so I made my battery box with out of sheet metal in the style of the great catamount, I gave it a fresh coat of paint and some rivets.

I also fabbed up some new brackets for the tail light/licenseplate/blinkers, made a new bracket for my led indicators on the handlebar mount, and centered the speedometer.

I put a pelican 1040 stash box under the seat.

and finally, the ignition switch went away and was replaced by this red pushbutton toggle switch that I mounted in that convenient hole on the side of my clarke tank where the plastics would normally attach, it has a twin on the other side that I havent wired to anything yet. For now it just looks symetrical I guess. I also put a fresh coat of paint on the motor but I havent re-polished anything yet.

Persistence is the better part of genius.

Nice! Love the stash box idea.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Looks good Little Cow!

I like the detailing on the cooling fins and the Pelican stash box.

Maybe it is an optical illusion, but those bars look super wide. What bend are they?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What a neat clean look. Nice details from the engine treatment to brake return spring, it all looks very well thought out and executed.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks Brian,
    They are just the pro taper atv high bars. That mod is so common I didn't think it noteworthy. I took the crossbar off to facilitate my led bracket. Maybe that's why they look funny?

Could I get some more details on all the wire stashing on the battery box. Also what material you built it out of? Is the velcro on the Pelican to keep the seat attached? Great idea if so. Here is my build so far. Seat cover comes in today! https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...ld-thread.html
    Last edited by supertrooper; 01-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Well thought out and clean.... By the way someone came along and ripped off the rest of your bike while you were asleep.. OMM...
    LittleCowTW likes this.

supertrooper, I leaned very heavily on catamounts build when I designed my battery box. His build thread is spectacular as I am sure you already know. I used the exact same sealed emergency exit light battery as him and I made my battery box in the same fashion. I first made a cardboard mockup of roughly what I wanted. And then I made probably three copies of the box before I had what I wanted. It connects in the front with bolts that go through the frame junction on the right and the vertical tab on the left(pics show this I think). In the rear the box is held on with zip ties along the forward seat crossmember. Holes are drilled across the front and back of the box where possible and mostly invisible to allow me to use zip ties to secure the wiring components to the sidewalls of the box which is totally critical. The CDI and all relays are secured along the rear wall of the box and the stator, neutral switch and other engine wires come in from the front left as you are sitting on the bike. I cut vertical slits in the box in three places on each side so that I could flex and bend the box to match the lines of the frame. when I found the shape I wanted I indexed the metal and used pop rivets to tack it into a permanant shape. Painting was a hard thing because I used galvanized sheet metal from home depot which doesnt like to accept a finish very well. The way I got around that problem was to use vinegar and 220 sand paper to tear through the factory finish and then the metal accepted the paint quite well. Thinking thinking..... oh yea you are correct about the velcro. the seat as well as the battery are covered in velcro and so I am able to attach/move stuff around as I please with no tools. However the caveat to this is that I cut out the rear crossmember for the seat last year by mistake. with the crossmember in place I am not sure the pelican case would fit as far back as it does and still contact the seat pan? hope thats enough, here are some more photos for you. And please feel free to ask anything you like, hollow modding is not a cake walk when your doing it in your garage between working hours thats for sure.

I thought of something else. I also cut out all of the wiring for the electric start, including the starter motor, ascociated wiring, and the start cutoff relay, the bike is kick only, that made a lot of room in the battery compartment, BUT it was not allways that way, originally I had all of that stuff in place and this box still held everything quite well.

great project so far. Very creative. These bikes come apart pretty easy , and, The pictures help me a lot. I think I will keep my stock air box for awhile.
    I just installed the same tires to replace the original stock nobbies (15 years old), so much smoother on the road.
    Also my battery won't start the bike in the mornings , but the kick start works every time.
    Your bike looks clean and simple. Thanks for showing.

LittleCow, a couple of things.....first....I see that your info shows you are from the Portland, OR. area, about 100 miles from me, but the bike is plated in Vermont. Are you in Oregon, or Vermont. I was hoping it was Vermont, as I love that state, and used to live there, so I was going to ask...hey, where do you live in Vermont?

Secondly, if you do live in Oregon, then that second picture you posted, in this second posting of pictures...which I copied above....is hopefully the school colors of the Oregon Ducks, and not the team colors of the Green Bay Packers...note the Green and Yellow in that picture. Given that the Ducks recently lost the Collegiate national Championship...and that the Packers are now in Seattle to face the World Champion Seattle Seahawks.....those of us that are light sensitive to those Packers colors had to look away from our computers for a moment, and steady ourselves.

So, which is it...Oregon or Vermont? The Ducks colors or the Packers colors?

Mike[/QUOTE]

You just blew my mind mike,

heres the the real story,
    I used to to live in North Carolina for awhile and I plated this bike in Vermont on account of not having a title( the bike was a total loss accept frame and triples when I bought it, I had NO idea what I was getting into). Now that I live in Oregon I will soon title the bike here but not until I finish my tear down and rejuvenation of the bike this winter. Which is almost done, just since I posted this thread yesterday my new blinkers, foamy grips and stubby levers have been installed I'm going to get the carb and cables in this morning so as to cure out the engine paint. As far as the colors go I wish I could say that any of that stuff you said is true but really it's just that I had a can of green and a can of white in the garage. I figured the white would match the seat but the green would soften the lines and hide the box better.

- I go to Portland State anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links