Are you running Dual Sprockets? - What you did and are you happy with it?
Close

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By RockyTFS
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By TW-Brian
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By Gerry

Thread: Are you running Dual Sprockets? - What you did and are you happy with it?

Are you running Dual Sprockets? - What you did and are you happy with it?

I have read all the dual sprocket threads and am interested in the opinions of members who have ran them for a while.

I am considering doing a single front and dual rear setup when I am due for a sprocket replacement.

For those of you who have done a dual sprocket setup and have ran it for a while.

1. Did you choose a single front or double front sprocket?

2. Did you stay within a "no change to chain length" spread? Or do you have a larger spread of gearing?

3. What was your final sprocket numbers? Are you happy with your choices or are you thinking of changing, and if so what are you changing.

4. In your opinion, was it worth the effort of mounting dual sprockets and also having to move them between the two or four sprockets?

I understand it is all personal opinions, and am curious how this mod has worked out for everyone who has done it.

Thanks for any feedback,

Dan
    Last edited by HKLBRY; 01-19-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    I have read all the dual sprocket threads and am interested in the opinions of members who have ran them for a while.

2. Did you stay within a "no change to chain length" spread? Or do you have a larger spread of gearing?

3. What was your final sprocket numbers? Are you happy with your choices or are you thinking of changing, and if so what are you changing.

5. In your opinion, was it worth the effort of mounting dual sprockets and also having to move them between the two or four sprockets?

Thanks for any feedback, Dan
    1. Single front....vastly more simple.

2. Single length, but had to change number of links....that's in the dual sprocket thread.

3. 13/50 and 13/55

4. (5.) Yes, it was definitely worth the effort, because I ride such a wide range of altitudes, from below sea level to 13,500 feet.

However, I ride the 13/50 about 98% of the time because it fits my home altitude and riding habits almost completely. The only time I changed to the 55 rear is when I went to Colorado and was riding mostly between 9,000 and 13,500 feet.
    It takes me about 15 minutes to change, but that is only because I want the chain guard on at all times and I have to use a couple of washers to get it moved outboard to clear the chain on the 55. Otherwise, I could do it in 10 minutes. I also changed the main jet down to 122 at the same time. With that set-up I got up some pretty steep grades at 13,000 feet in first. I actually had to rest partway up, not because of power problems but because it got so hot crawling in first.

So far, I have not seen any increased chain wear, but I put the 55 on the outside, so the 13/50 is pretty close to parallel. I wouldn't change a thing.

Edit: After reading Admirals post, I should say that I need to be able to ride on the highway at 60 for a few miles on nearly every ride when I'm not on a camping trip, so I have exactly the opposite experience. I've only used the 55 rear for maybe 200 miles out of 2,000 so I have not seen front sprocket wear. (yet.)
    Last edited by RockyTFS; 01-19-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    Fred and HKLBRY like this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

5. In your opinion, was it worth the effort of mounting dual sprockets and also having to move them between the two or four sprockets?

Dan
    1. I chose single front as this is the easiest setup. Adding a rear dual sprocket was easy.

2. I stayed within the "no change in length" method, 14/50 & 14/55. I did have to use a longer chain length. 122 links to 126 I think.

3. Once I used the 14/55 setup, I liked it more for my off-pavement style riding. With the 14/55, I was still able to ride pavement if I wanted. Because
    I liked the 55 rear so much, I stayed on that sprocket 95% of the time.

4. Do I get to make something up with the missing 4?

5. It was definitely worth the effort because I could experiment and gained first hand knowledge. Dual rear downside for me. I experienced unwanted/excessive front sprocket wear. I switched the 55 from outside back to inside. Because of the front sprocket wear, and the fact I was using the 55 95% of the time anyway, I switched back to a single rear sprocket (55).

Here you can see the wear on my front sprocket. It was the same on the other side. This was caused because of the need space between sprockets made their alignment just a touch off.When the chain was on the inner rear sprocket, the out front wore and vice versa when chain was on outer rear.

Last edited by admiral; 01-19-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    HKLBRY likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

1. Single front sprocket.

2. and 3. First, I started with a 14 front and a 47/50 rear using the stock length chain. The 14/47 combination was an improvement for street riding, but unacceptable to me for offroading. Second, I went with a 14 front and a 47/55 rear which requires a short length of chain added/removed when switching sprockets. The 14/55 was much improved for offroading. Now I am running with a 14 front and a 55/65 rear. I love the 14/65 for serious offroading and the 14/55 is a good compromise for both non-freeway street riding and moderate offroading. This setup also requires a longer length of chain added/removed when switching sprockets. Next, I may try a 70 tooth rear sprocket.

4. My answer here is - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

5. I usually only switch the rear sprockets once or twice a year so it is not a big deal. I like the novelty of the dual rear sprockets and it always gets a lot of attention and questions.
    HKLBRY likes this.

4. In your opinion, was it worth the effort of mounting dual sprockets and also having to move them between the two or four sprockets?
    1) Single front and dual rear.

2) At first I had a 14t / 50t and 55t dual set up. Honestly, I couldn't really tell the difference but I was able to use the same chain length for both sprockets.

Later I used a 14 / 45 and 55 dual set up. I only used the 45t sprocket twice but it was nice on the freeway. I could do 70 mph. As for changing the sprocket used I always did it in the garage. I had to add a short section of chain and then I still had to adjust the chain tension (slide the rear wheel forward or back). If I only had to add or remove the chain I would have liked the set up. And I too had front sprocket side wear. Not as bad as Admiral's but very noticeable.

3) Now I am back to a single 55 tooth sprocket. As I said earlier I can't tell the difference between a 50 or 55 tooth sprocket but "intellectually" I know a little more torque is being delivered to the rear wheel. As for highway speeds, I put a tach on my bike and will hold it at around 8,800 to 8,900 rpm, about 60 mph, and will do that all day long. I like to avoid freeways so 60 is plenty fast enough.

4) For me it was worth doing to find out I didn't want to do it. A single 55 tooth sprocket with a 14 tooth in front is all I need or want.
    Last edited by elime; 01-20-2015 at 07:16 AM.
    HKLBRY likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I think to date everybody that has gone to a dual rear setup installs the smaller of the two sprockets closest to the swing arm. With two rear sprockets, which ever is placed against the hub first should remain in 'perfect' stock alignment. The sprocket that is bolted, not to the hub, but against the 'hub sprocket' will always be running with a slight mis-alignment. If possible, you want to get the sprocket you use the most to be the one against the hub flange. This is generally not possible if you are primarily a road rider as many larger sprockets placed on the swingarm side will rub.

Put another way, if you are a road guy, but would like to keep the 50 for off-road but run a 45 for everyday riding, consider putting the 45 against the hub (properly aligned). Then you could install the slightly mis-aligned and seldom used 50 closer to the swingarm.

As I am not a road guy, and I thought it might be nice to minimize the mis-alignment. I drilled and taped my 55 to provide two indexing holes. I then cut the sprocket in half on my band saw. This set up allow me to bolt a second (larger) sprocket on the other side of the rear hub flange and minimize the mis-alignment. Gerry

Last edited by Gerry; 01-20-2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: additional detail
    snowman485 likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

I am 95% + road/commuting (to include BLM and FS roads) and 5% or less trails and technical riding. Mild adventure rides for the most part, but still want that option. So if I do this, I would put the road sprocket on where it ran the straightest and the off road would be on the outside. I guess my next decision would be the spread, I would want. Since I wouldn't be doing it alot, the chain length switch wouldn't be that major of a chore.

I think it might be time to buy several and start experimenting with what each can do for me.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has some insight, please share your thoughts.

Dan

Gerry if you don't mind I think I will copy your idea.

Sponosred Links