A warning on installing a kicker on ttr225 cases
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A warning on installing a kicker on ttr225 cases

A warning on installing a kicker on ttr225 cases

So I wanted to post this so people could see and maybe save some frustration. If you are building a tw225 and you're using the ttr cases prepare for this one. I chose to use the right half of the ttr case because it was in much better shape and have been doing all kinds of checking and test fitting.

this is my case being test fit with the 6 speed. Im gonna use the left tw case because the ttr lost a chain and chewed off a piece of the case and the right ttr case because the gasket surface of that side was poor on the tw case. Pay attention to the vent. the ttr and tw vent in a different place and I ended up with neither so I had to install one. Obviously the left case was bored to match the ttr side.

Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
    Now here is where the kicker goes. It appears that when yami makes this case they dont run the final bore/pass on this hole. this hole is obviously just the rough case and it measures .582". the tw case has this bored to .664 after casting to give it a .010" clearance for that kick shaft

Now I think this one is common knowledge, but this hole also isnt bored on a ttr side cover.
    heres another shot for visualization.

So what Im gonna do is lock this down on the mill table and bore/ream/clean the hole in the case first. then I will lower the table and install the locating dowels then bolt on the cover. this will line up the outer case so the hole is bored in the same location.

on a side note the ttr shift fork rods are a fair bit longer and the case bores were deeper to accommodate that.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Hey Vanilla,

Since you are several steps ahead of me in your 226 build, I really appreciate your updates and warnings!

I just went out to my workbench and it looks like I got lucky and dodged this problem. It turns out that my right side crankcase is already bored out for the kickstarter gear assembly (Thank you Mr. Yamaha !).

100_4750.JPG

And the kickstarter gear assembly slips right in.

100_4756.JPG

I don't know if this is important, but this is what the opposite side of this bore hole looks like. There are two different diameters and it is not bored completely through the web in the casting.

100_4753.JPG

p.s. I will be pulling that starter today and will get it mailed off to you this weekend.
    PlacerLode likes this.

good deal. Your cases are from an xt correct?
    225 6 speed complete!
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    good deal. Your cases are from an xt correct?
    Nope, these are from a 2000 TTR225.

boy is that strange. lazy bastards. mine is an '01 motor. I wonder what prompted that change. For reference the case was stamped 01 on the inside. it also looks like they faced yours where the shaft sits. Do you have a clutch cover to snap some shots from around that spot handy?
    225 6 speed complete!

Here's a shot of the inside of the clutch cover showing the area that will need to drilled out for the kickstarter shaft.

100_4763.JPG

Let me know if this isn't what you needed.

thats what I was after. I would be interested to know if anyone has an already drilled one on there bench. I'm guessing that yami faced that as well when they drill it. this kicker is gonna be the end of me I think and I never use it! But like a seatbelt I would rather it there and never use it than not have it and need it.
    Last edited by vanillagorilla1; 01-24-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    225 6 speed complete!

It doesn't seam to me that drilling the case for the kicker shaft should be that hard. The recess is there on the outside of the case for the seal. The shaft itself will not be in contact with the case.

between the two TTR225 motors i have, i hope at least one has the same set up as brian's. there is such a variance with these conversions, depending on xt vs ttr, and model variation, makes all of them interesting.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

it is interesting to me that one year to the next and mine doesnt have the finish pass for the kicker. I was under the assumption that the kicker would fit any 225 with the exception of the ttr side cover not being drilled. also a fair warning the finish hole is no standard drill bit size. Ill keep you posted on how that goes.
    225 6 speed complete!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links