Shorter Bars?
Close

Thread: Shorter Bars?

Has anyone cut the stock handlebars down, or gotten shorter ones? I'm so used to my FZ6 now, that the TW's bars seem much too wide. Yes, I know they're two completely different animals, but I'm thinking shorter bars would make the TW a bit more enjoyable. Maybe about an inch or two? Pros, cons, experiences?
    2009 Yamaha TW200

2006 Yamaha FZ6

Depends. If you're using it offroad you'll probably hate it. If anything you'd want WIDER bars to increase leverage and control of your front end and reduce rider fatigue through the rough stuff.

The primary reason sportbike bars are narrow is to reduce your frontal area, a neccessary evil for going fast. They'd all handle better with wider bars. This, combined with steep steering angles is why they're so twitchy at low speeds.

But if you just gotta have 'em, looks like stock bars could be narrowed about 1 1/4" per side before you ran out of room for your controls and mirror perches.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Most off-road riders who spend any time in the woods (i.e. hare scrambles) cut their bars as short as possible to assist in getting through the trees. Cut away. You will have plenty of leverage for the minimal weight/load of the TW front end. The previous reply was correct, your leverage will be compromised, but there will still be plenty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info! I don't do much off roading, and when I do, it's easy stuff that isn't much work at all. I'll try hacking a bit off the ends, and see what happens. Worst case, I hate it, and throw some Pro-Tapers on.

I don't know about other sport bikes(only ridden my FZ), but I have a much easier time with low speed maneuvers on my FZ6 than my TW! I couldn't believe it the first time I rode it, just how easy it was to crawl around turns in traffic and crawl around parking lots. Whereas, to me, the TW is a bit twitchy. I even took it(FZ) to the DMV, to give that circle a try, and I could dang near do it one handed. lol Again, the FZ6 could be the exception to the rule. The more upright position, and near perfect weight distribution could make the difference. I'm sure if I were to ride a super sport, I'd be singing a different tune. And lizrdbrth your're right about leverage, it does take noticeably more effort with the bars on the FZ6 than the TW. Perhaps that's the problem for me? I like loads of feedback from everything, not just motorcycles. For example, I have two touch screen devices, and I'm still not used to them, despite having my phone for about two years now. I also prefer electronic devices to have buttons that most people complain about, as in when they say buttons on a phone are too stiff. I'm just weird I guess. lol
    2009 Yamaha TW200

2006 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by novaks44 View Post
    Thanks for the info! I don't do much off roading, and when I do, it's easy stuff that isn't much work at all. I'll try hacking a bit off the ends, and see what happens. Worst case, I hate it, and throw some Pro-Tapers on.

I don't know about other sport bikes(only ridden my FZ), but I have a much easier time with low speed maneuvers on my FZ6 than my TW! I couldn't believe it the first time I rode it, just how easy it was to crawl around turns in traffic and crawl around parking lots. Whereas, to me, the TW is a bit twitchy. I even took it(FZ) to the DMV, to give that circle a try, and I could dang near do it one handed. lol Again, the FZ6 could be the exception to the rule. The more upright position, and near perfect weight distribution could make the difference. I'm sure if I were to ride a super sport, I'd be singing a different tune. And lizrdbrth your're right about leverage, it does take noticeably more effort with the bars on the FZ6 than the TW. Perhaps that's the problem for me? I like loads of feedback from everything, not just motorcycles. For example, I have two touch screen devices, and I'm still not used to them, despite having my phone for about two years now. I also prefer electronic devices to have buttons that most people complain about, as in when they say buttons on a phone are too stiff. I'm just weird I guess. lol
    Yep- Dont even waste your time- Throw some pro taper raptor atv bars on there. I get mine on sale at Suicycle for $55.00 Cut 1 inch out of middle support strut slide it down a little reweld. Then Your Moose Racing Bark busters fit right on. Looks good too. They are stout and save your brake and clutch levers in the event of a dump. plus keep your hands warmer and do what they say---BUST BARK

Sponosred Links