Coil Spring Compressor From Mostly Scrap
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Hekkler
  • 1 Post By Hekkler

Thread: Coil Spring Compressor From Mostly Scrap

Coil Spring Compressor From Mostly Scrap

I recently swapped out my stock squishy yellow spring for the red 19 kgmm spring from ProCycle. Before doing so I decided to tap into the wealth of knowledge on this forum and read a ton of threads. I saw some pretty clever methods to compressing the spring but I have to admit, the ratchet strap method had me puckering just thinking about it. There is a tremendous amount of energy stored in these coils when compressed. I took and idea from the web and made it a little better (I think). I used a piece of aluminum channel 5" X 2.75" , 2 lengths of all thread and a hunk of 2X4 that I routed a small channel with a plunge bit to keep the bottom of the shock from walking around on the bottom of the channel. I used 6061 channel because of it's structural strength.
    This thing worked perfectly and I didn't pucker once! It was completely solid and safe. It cost me roughly $40 to make which is about what I'd pay for a made in China one, that to me look kind of sketchy. I offset the bolts going through the sides to apply equal pressure to both sides of the spring. I took some small pieces of an old length of fuel line, split them down the length and slipped them over the "through bolts" to keep them from scratching the powder coat on the coil. (not pictured)
    IMG_0070.JPGIMG_0071.JPGIMG_0072.JPGIMG_0073.JPGIMG_0074.JPG
    TW-Brian, Fred and TWilight like this.

That works, I like it!

And your thoughts on the new spring?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I like it Tommy, they're a little pricey but well worth it. I load the dog poo out of my bike for hunting season, loading gear to and from my stands. The stock spring was a little soft for my large carcass and all my stuff. It would occasionally bottom out the rear on a deep dip in the road and certain potholes. I haven't had a chance to take it to "that spot" where I normally ride but I rode it around the neighborhood and intentionally tried to bottom it out and couldn't. I love the new spring, it's a little firmer but seems to handle the hits much better.
    littletommy likes this.

I was just wondering what you thought about it. I love mine and it is much better.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links