Replace POS stock shift lever with one from Outlaw Racing
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Replace POS stock shift lever with one from Outlaw Racing

Replace POS stock shift lever with one from Outlaw Racing

My stock shift lever tip was bending by about 15deg. sideways after under 2K miles. Easy enough to straighten in a vise but why need to? I recently purchased an Outlaw Racing/w Folding tip: "Yamaha YZ/WR 250F 01-05 Shift Lever" from Amazon for $17.95 delivered. It not only is Much stronger, but much more attractive as it is a solid cast anodized aluminum silver color with either a Blue or Red spring loaded folding tip, which comes in handy if the bike goes down. Check it out.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Pic/link

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dogonit View Post
    My stock shift lever tip was bending by about 15deg. sideways after under 2K miles. Easy enough to straighten in a vise but why need to? I recently purchased an Outlaw Racing/w Folding tip: "Yamaha YZ/WR 250F 01-05 Shift Lever" from Amazon for $17.95 delivered. It not only is Much stronger, but much more attractive as it is a solid cast anodized aluminum silver color with either a Blue or Red spring loaded folding tip, which comes in handy if the bike goes down. Check it out.
    How much longer , if any, than stock? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rivershot View Post
    How much longer , if any, than stock? Thanks.
    The distance from foot peg to shifter tip is similar, the 250F might be 1/8" further. I have kept the regular foot pegs on as I didn't like the foot positioning between the wider peg and the original shifter when I tried them out. The one significant difference with the stock shifter is that the shifter tip on the 250F extends out about 1/2" further from the bike. Something I like, but that would fall under personal preference.
    Just give me a minute while I collect my thoughts. They're around here somewhere. Maybe!

2013 TW200(Protaper SE ATV High handlebars, DID 428VX-X ring chain, Shinko Tires, K&N Air Filter, Seat Concepts "Grip" seat covering, Outlaw Racing Folding
    Gear shifter, My custom( long/thin) foot pegs, My custom(extended) Rear brake lever, Battery tender harness, Gel Battery, "Bikini" Bike rack, Mobil 1 4T synthetic, BLUE Ricochet Skid Plate , DG Exhaust & 15 Front Sproket.

Thanks guys. Just ordered mine.

There is something to be said in defense of stock shifter lever. By being mild steel it can bend and unbend many times while the aluminum aftermarkets can break. The mild steel oem unit absorbs and dissipates impact energy through deformation while the more rigid aftermarket units either fracture or transmit impact energy to shift shaft and it's associated oil seal and case opening. Which would you rather have to repair trail side?
    Of course if you are a motorcross racer with a service rig trackside you can have that sexy aluminum unit replaced in a jiffy but if you are trail riding 50 miles from home you might have to limp home with just a busted portion of shift lever and/or an oil leak. A hose clamp can replace a sheared off portion of lever to give your toe something to work against.
    Maybe modern aluminum levers are made of more malleable alloys but my past experience is you get possibly one or teo un-bending attempts then a fatigue failure.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-02-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

My stock shifter has been bent by a rock 10-15 times and bent back. It in no way resembles an unblemished shifter. So glad it's so soft so I can bend it back.

Have a pair of vice grips along can be used should it break out on the trail, no matter what shifter you use.
    Fred likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    There is something to be said in defense of stock shifter lever. By being mild steel it can bend and unbend many times while the aluminum aftermarkets can break. The mild steel oem unit absorbs and dissipates impact energy through deformation while the more rigid aftermarket units either fracture or transmit impact energy to shift shaft and it's associated oil seal and case opening. Which would you rather have to repair trail side?
    Of course if you are a motorcross racer with a service rig trackside you can have that sexy aluminum unit replaced in a jiffy but if you are trail riding 50 miles from home you might have to limp home with just a busted portion of shift lever and/or an oil leak. A hose clamp can replace a sheared off portion of lever to give your toe something to work against.
    Maybe modern aluminum levers are made of more malleable alloys but my past experience is you get possibly one or teo un-bending attempts then a fatigue failure.
    Which is exactly why I bought a steel folding lever when I wanted a longer one. Aluminum will break after bent, then bent back 2 times. They are good for keeping weight off of race bikes, along with 20 other parts to save a few ounces. On a long trip far out somewhere in tuff terrain, toss your old lever in your tool bag just incase.... The lever is made to be soft and bend. This is a weak spot so your shaft doesn't break. Shift shaft is more likely to break than bend because it's hardened. The lever is suppose to be the weak link for that reason.
    Last edited by Werloc; 02-03-2015 at 07:19 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Admiral, I like your idea of adding vise grips to my tool bag, good for other jury-rigged repairs like Purples throttle cable other uses in a pinch. Good tip!
    Bob nailed it by pointing out that the sacrificial part should be the accessible affordable part, not a shift shaft.
    So rather than drawing conclusion that something deserves POS status I view the bendable shifter as another elegantly engineered energy absorption device. Same goes for the stock skid plate. It's rubber mounts and flexible thin guage metal slow down the duration of impact force transmittal resulting in less destructive energy going into rest of bike. Remember the old days before concept of controlled crush was engineered into cars? after a crash maybe the car would be intact but driver dead cause car almost instantly transmitted energy directly to driver. Why do you think your helmet has foam? Not for comfort! All of this whether it be a bendable shifter, rubber mounted skid plate, crushable bumpers and helmet lining all accomplish "energy absortion" through increasing the time duration of impacts. Milliseconds count. Remember your high school claculus!
    Now if only some way to make Ricochet offer a rubber mount for their large stiff skidplate and maybe my light bulb filaments , teeth and frame welds will last longer. You can really feel the difference in you hands, teeth and seat of the pants when that big plate takes a blow compared to softer OEM plate's delayed energy transmittal.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-03-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links