Project rebuild
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Project rebuild

Project rebuild

Seems like this forum is little different from most other IRO the 'requirement' to post pics!

So then, after my intro (https://tw200forum.com/forum/general-...023-intro.html), herewith pics and the story so far ..... It was bought sight unseen (2 photos with the ad and spoke with the seller telephonically) The cost was roughly the equivalent of about $450 US. Like I said in the thread above, the price was in line with it's condition.

Although I've done a few things to the bike, this is pretty much how I got it a couple of days ago ....

IMG_0311.JPGIMG_0312.JPG

It started with the first kick after it was off-loaded on Wednesday, so that was a positive.

TW IMG-20150202-00686.jpg

Something that bothered me immediately was the 'bucking' when put into gear, but I'm told this is common with the TW and the problem goes as the bike warms up.
    I didn't have the time to examine it properly and only took it for a ride the following day, and I picked up a couple more issues ... front suspension a little stiff for my liking, chain was too loose and noisy, brakes work fine but squeak (could be from standing for a long time) and the rear brake pedal was set far too high.

So yesterday I closed shop a bit early and had a look at the rear brake. The pedal was so high it was chafing against the motor.
    IMG_0315.JPG
    and because of the pedal angle, the link was touching the swing arm. Battled a bit with the pedal 'stop' adjustment because the bolt and locking nut were both very stiff and also there was no adjustment left at the arm on the drum. I had to release the link to adjust the pedal and that wing-nut was also stiff as hell and wouldn't even turn up further than the position it was at, so I got out the taps and dyes and cleaned up the threads.

IMG_0319.JPG
    LittleCowTW likes this.

you've got a famed '95 rainbow warrior! not sure of the t-dub market in SA, but $450 for a complete and running bike is a steal. i look forward to see how your restore and refurb your new steed. congrats!
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Decided it would be prudent to do the chain adjustment at the same time before I completed sorting the brake ..... looks like there isn't too much stretch left in the chain.

IMG_0318.JPG

Nonetheless, set it to between 30mm and 40mm up / down slack as per the manual I downloaded, and gave it a light oiling since it was very dry. much better now and npt noisy.

Went back to the brakes and moved the arm at the drum inwards by 3 splines so that I could get enough adjustment. The pedal was now nice an level and the link was no longer in contact with the swing-arm either.

IMG_0314.JPGIMG_0317.JPG

I also noticed that the rear (passenger) RHS foot-rest was badly skew, so I removed the bracket and straightened it out.

IMG_0316.JPG

Looked at the other side and although not appearing to be skew it was fouling against the swing-arm, .....

IMG_0322.JPG

..... so straightened that out as well at the same time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    you've got a famed '95 rainbow warrior! not sure of the t-dub market in SA, but $450 for a complete and running bike is a steal. i look forward to see how your restore and refurb your new steed. congrats!
    Thanks Joe. Rainbow warrior, huh? I know it's a '95 model from the registration papers, but not sure it's that special .... beginning to think I bought a pig in a poke with all the issues I'm picking up - more about that later. I did notice this little emblem and wondered what it's significance is?

IMG_0335.JPG

P.S. The going price for a current new model is about or just under $4000 US over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Dog View Post
    Thanks Joe. Rainbow warrior, huh? I know it's a '95 model from the registration papers, but not sure it's that special .... beginning to think I bought a pig in a poke with all the issues I'm picking up - more about that later. I did notice this little emblem and wondered what it's significance is?

IMG_0335.JPG
    notch in the bedpost with a canadian?

i have a '94 that started out as a rainbow warrior, but i decided i was past the color scheme. mel's got a stock one that is really clean and looks good.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    notch in the bedpost with a canadian?

Hehehe!

This seems to explain it - Motor Vehicle Restraint Systems and Booster Seats Safety Regulations

And it would therefore be a reasonable assumption that the bike was built in Canada.

Anyway, to follow on from where I left off ..... but just before I do, is there any reason why I should try retain the bike's identity as a Rainbow Warrior when I rebuild?

Although I spoke with the seller and asked if there were any issue I should be aware of, and some things were disclosed, the following was not .....

Hole in the sprocket side cover of the motor

IMG_0323.JPG

Welded frame (and very poorly done at that)

IMG_0321.JPG

Broken off mountings for indicator lamps and tail light / registration plate / rear mudguard. The seller did say that the mudguard / tail light mounting was missing, but not that part of the framework was broken off. Looks like I've got a bit of welding repairs to be done.

IMG_0325.JPG

Filler cap broken - speedo cable missing (I was told that everything was there - the speedo unit and indicator lamps came separately packed in a box, as did only part of the 'dash lamp' unit).

IMG_0329.JPGIMG_0330.JPG

Also welded (crappy job) headlamp brackets.

Attachment 13791

Helmet lock not working - it was totally loose and rattling. Just tightened it for the time being.

Attachment 13792

Most of it isn't a biggie - just an unexpected surprise. The welded frame and sprocket cover hole could be an issue with getting a certificate of fitness / road worthiness, but I'm sure I'll get around that.

Then the other things that I was made aware of ...

Handle bars twisted, the grips need replacing as does the front brake lever (will probably replace the clutch lever at the same time as well)

IMG_0328.JPGIMG_0333.JPGIMG_0334.JPG

And I'll have some wiring to sort out as well.

IMG_0326.JPG

There's also a cracked front mudguard, but I may be able to weld that plastic as well.

That more or less covers the bike's condition, which is such that it would be better to tear it down and start afresh, replacing and repairing as I go without getting too far beyond what would be a fair market related cost for a bike in this one's refurbished state. It doesn't have to be a show piece, just decent and reliable - don't want to feel guilty if I scratch it on a trail or in the bush while hunting.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links