$40 Cabela's ATV Gun Boot for the TW
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By goldenhtr

Thread: $40 Cabela's ATV Gun Boot for the TW

$40 Cabela's ATV Gun Boot for the TW

I've been wanting a gun boot for the TW for some time, so when I saw one go on sale for $40 at Cabela's I decided to go for it.

Cabela's Trail Tamer Gear Gun Boot® and Bracket by Kolpin® : Cabela's

I read the reviews, and many of the criticisms are spot on. Some of my nylock nuts were the wrong thread and I had to run to the hardware store for replacements. The threaded posts on the U-brackets that attach the gun boot to the mounting bracket were TOO BIG to fit into the slots in the bracket, so I had to file out the slots and repaint the bracket. All in all there are way too many fasteners holding this whole thing together, and they're all different sizes too. I used at least 8 different wrenches/sockets for this assembly and installation, which isn't really ideal for trailside adjustments.

These issues would have really pissed me off if I had paid the $110 MSRP for this thing, but at $40 I didn't really mind. Chalk it up to "you get what you pay for".

I took it out for a shakedown run today, 25 miles of spirited rutty dirt road to see how it held up.

Admittedly not an ideal mounting spot, but anywhere else would interfere with my pannier brackets.
    IMG_0891_zps51m8ek9t.jpg

IMG_0890_zpseqs21u6k.jpg

IMG_0895_zpstzbqvahs.jpg

I fully expected something to come loose, but at the top of the hill everything was still right where it should be.

IMG_0894_zpsrayg2vd2.jpg

IMG_0893_zpsgnmw0p3e.jpg

I'm going to replace the bolts securing the boot with clevis pins for easy installation and removal.

As the reviews point out, the foam lined that comes with this is garbage. The sight wore a hole right through.

Of course, I wasn't about to bring along anything too pricey to play guinea pig on the shakedown run! This piece was scuffed up before the ride, and appears no worse for wear.

I'm sure there are better options out there, but I'm happy with what I got for the price.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I don't think that would work in my neck of the woods. Check out Eberlestock I own one of there packs and they are top notch. The Gunrunner is a sweet setup for carring a rifle

Eberlestock: Mini-Me Hydration Pack
    Last edited by TopPredator; 02-14-2015 at 07:15 PM.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Nice Gun LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Howdy DonBenito,

These gun boots are great for hauling around a weapon, that is unless you need it quickly.

I was able to mount my lower. I used bungee's to help secure it as I didn't want brush or tree's knocking it about. Works good, though I only use it in bad weather now. Just to easy to sling it over and hop on.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I read these gun mount threads cause I'm looking for ideas to carry a camera tripod. Anybody else care about tripod mounts. The things I shoot are much easier to carry out, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Howdy DonBenito,

These gun boots are great for hauling around a weapon, that is unless you need it quickly.

I was able to mount my lower. I used bungee's to help secure it as I didn't want brush or tree's knocking it about. Works good, though I only use it in bad weather now. Just to easy to sling it over and hop on.

Admiral. By the looks of those bullet holes in your gas tank you probably need to get to your gun quicker. Lol
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

Nobody knows this, but Elk shoot back!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I would turn that mount upside down and lower the whole thing. First time it catches a branch you will thank me. The end of mine gets bungeed to the rear foot peg.

TopPredator and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

This would be handy for my commute!

Sponosred Links