Anybody using the R6 rear shock?
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anybody using the R6 rear shock?

Anybody using the R6 rear shock?

I've been reading the various shock threads I can find, and it's looking like the R6 rear shock might be the best way to go, based on what I've seen. Does that sound right? They're certainly inexpensive on eBay, and building a bracket to make it 1" longer is simple enough. One thing I had noticed though is that the older R6 shock (2001-ish) has the reservoir mounted perpendicularly to the shock body, which might fit better and not hit anything when the shock is fully compressed. I was wondering if anybody had explored that possibility.

Thanks.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

The Blaster shock is the popular one. But it raises the rear end a lot. I also want to upgrade the rear shock so it's tunable, without adding any or much height to the rear.
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah I don't want to deal with a higher seat. I like the TW's seat height as it is. I'm gonna order up an R6 shock... it's cheap enough. I know of a local shock builder who may even be able to modify it to add the extra inch of length. If not, a bracket is simple enough to make. I like having the full compression and rebound adjustability. It really makes all the difference.

Yesterday afternoon I took the TW for a ride in an open field across the street (the owner gave permission). I thought it seemed kinda rough, so I came home and got my DR650 and went back. HUGE difference. The DR is like a Cadillac by comparison with it's completely done suspension... gold valves and springs in the forks, and a Cogent Dynamics shock in back. And that's with extra-stiff springs on both ends too. So yeah, the TW definitely needs some suspension work.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I agree 100%, but also remember, your DR has double the travel. Keep me posted, as I may do the same if yours workes out. You may need to use the TW spring IF it fits, on the R6 shock since the R6 is weak.
    Last edited by Werloc; 02-24-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Really? Crap. I figured the R6 spring would be stiffer. I'm regretting giving away my stock KLX250S spring, it might have been a good fit. Oh well, thanks for the tip at least.

Anybody know what the stock spring rate is on the TW? At least ProCycle has a couple of stiffer options available too.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Stock is for a 135 lb. person, and that sure isn't me. I went with the procycle red spring and also the heavier front springs as well. Brand new bike, actually feels like a real motorcycle.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

If you want a less expensive option to the springs procycle offers, you could make one yourself. I used a homemade spacer and it really stiffened up the rear without raising it. It feels like it's jacked up, but that's just cause it doesn't sag as much.
    Last edited by admiral; 02-25-2015 at 07:12 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Yeah I was thinking in terms of kg/mm. But looking at the ProCycle site, the 220 lb. spring is 15 kg/mm... so that kinda implies that the stock one is around 8 or 9 kg/mm.

That's good to hear about your results. I was resisting doing that, but I may end up doing so. Did you do the Gold Valves up front too? If so, did you have to disassemble the forks and drill holes in the damper rods?

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Rob, you mean the RaceTech Emulators? I plan to get them if my gas tank sells. Ebay has them for under $100. Just make sure you get the ones for 33mm forks.
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Yeah, those. I went to eBay and didn't find any for less than $120-130. I'm gonna do the ProCycle Fork Solution Kit because for the $289 you get the emulators, the springs, fork oil, and fork seals, all of which I need. Seems like a fair price, and since they're only an hour away, even shipping and shipping time is quick.

Looking at my budget, this won't happen til mid-March. I'm officially spent-out til then.

BTW I hope to get to the USPS before end of the week to send out your box.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links