Custom Dash for Vapor
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RobG
  • 1 Post By RobG

Thread: Custom Dash for Vapor

Custom Dash for Vapor

I was bummed, but I guess not really surprised, when the "TW-Specific" version of the Vapor didn't include a specific mount. Instead I just got a very weird speedo cable that I have to build a bracket for.

Anyway, not content to just clamp it to my handlebars, I decided to go custom. I had the time and materials so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm no professional; that should be evident by the finished product, but it far from sucks.

2015-02-22 13.52.18.jpg

I cut this out of a piece of 1/8" aluminum I've been carrying around for years. I found it on the ground on an ATV ride like ten years ago. It used to be a sign of some sort. I cut it using a hack saw and a grinder since my friend's shop was locked up today and I couldn't get to his plasma cutter. I traced the outline using the stock plastic dash, but then decided to make it symmetrical, instead of lop-sided like the stock dash.

2015-02-22 14.01.10.jpg

First test-fitting.

2015-02-22 14.01.21.jpg

Another angle. The rectangular hole on the right is for a voltmeter. The large round hole on the left is for the Vapor's wires. The two small holes below it are to attach the Vapor's aluminum bracket, which I bent into a U-shape using my vice and a hammer. The two holes to either side of the large hole are so I can fit a tool through to tighten the socket-cap screws holding the Vapor to the bracket. That way in a year when the battery needs replacing, it's a five minute job instead of a 30-min job with a lot of swearing.

2015-02-22 14.06.00.jpg

Vapor mount test.

2015-02-22 14.06.08.jpg

View from below.

Continued next post...
    GTG and admiral like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

2015-02-22 14.21.43.jpg

Power-on test.

2015-02-22 14.30.00.jpg

And finally, with the headlight cowl on. The top of the aluminum plate doesn't line up with the cowl, though it's not obvious in the photo. That's because my headlight bracket is bent out of whack and I haven't gotten it completely straight yet.

One thing not pictured are the half-inch spacers I put below the aluminum dash between it and the headlight bracket, to make up for the thickness difference between my new dash and the old plastic one.

I left space below the voltmeter in case I want to put more warning lights there in the future, though with the TW's microscopic stator, I don't really foresee that happening.

Next up will be to figure out why my turn signals still don't flash, and how to wire up the Vapor dash lights to do separate left/right turn signal indicators. I may have to dig into my DR650's wiring to remember how I did it.

Oh and I have a really weird new wiring issue.. I'll post only because it's amusing. I fired up the bike to admire the new Vapor display. I put it in gear to just to move it forward a little and stop it, to see if I got the front brake adjusted right. Well, when I let the clutch out, the voltmeter and Vapor backlight go out. When I pull the clutch in all the way, it comes back in. You can hear the relay clicking when I do that. It's funny because I grounded it to the frame, not to the clutch safety switch (which isn't even connected). Weird. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Rob
    GTG likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Hey Rob, I just read your PM about that. Lookin good. That looks like the perfect thickness for a tail light & lic plate mount. I'm wondering if Home Depot or Lowes has pieces like that. Do you remember where you got that?
    Bob

When in doubt, Gas It..!!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    Hey Rob, I just read your PM about that. Lookin good. That looks like the perfect thickness for a tail light & lic plate mount. I'm wondering if Home Depot or Lowes has pieces like that. Do you remember where you got that?
    Third paragraph of my post.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Ha, ya see, that helped. I have a few stop signs and didn't think to use them...Duh. Cool, thanks for the idea Rob.....
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Nicely done, i have been thinking of getting a trail tech for mine and was wondering how i was going to mount it. I like what you have done and may try to replicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
    HD or Lowes don't carry aluminum in sizes much over 2" wide but amazon has some pieces that would work pretty cheap.
    Aluminum Sheet Plate 1/8" (.125) X 9" X 12" 9X12 New Remnant: Solid Metal Sheets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    Last edited by jb882; 02-23-2015 at 05:32 AM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Nicely done, i have been thinking of getting a trail tech for mine and was wondering how i was going to mount it. I like what you have done and may try to replicate it.

HD or Lowes don't carry aluminum in sizes much over 2" wide but amazon has some pieces that would work pretty cheap.
    Aluminum Sheet Plate 1/8" (.125) X 9" X 12" 9X12 New Remnant: Solid Metal Sheets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    BINGO, even better. Ya see, didn't hurt to ask. And now I'm set. Yeah, I'd hate to cut the sign up, but would have if couldn't find anything. This is PERFECT.

Thanks jb....
    Bob

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I wish I had a sign like that, Bob. I need to build a skid plate. I can't quite grasp $90 for one for a bike I only paid $500 for. I think there's some steel sheet metal in my friend's shop I can use... 1/8" steel will do the job of 3/16" aluminum, and granted it's heavier, but the weight will be about as low as you can get it. Plus it'll be free or mostly free. My welder isn't setup for welding aluminum... it's a simply 110v unit (Hobart Handler 140), and I'm not sure it'll weld 3/16" aluminum... fairly sure it won't. It'll do 3/16" steel or 1/4" steel if I make two passes over it, but there's only so much you can do with 110v.

Jason (the shop owner) has a Tig welder, but I dunno if he'd have the time to weld it up for me. Suppose I could ask. Tig is waaaaay above my skill level.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Sponosred Links