Blew up my new duro power grip :(
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Blew up my new duro power grip :(

Well, not a good first post here but oh well.
    I tried installing my new Duro last night. I trimmed the bead like everyone says to and lubed everything up with grease. The swap was easy except the bead wouldn't seat of course. I tried a strap around it and airing it up and down a couple of times and hitting the tire with a rubber mallet some but no go. I put the air pressure up to 45psi and turned up my shop heat to about 80 degrees to maybe help soften the rubber. Left it for about a half an hour and I heard a huge boom from my garage. When I went out there the wheel had moved about six feet and there was a huge gaping rip from the bead out into the sidewall. A big flap of rubber was hanging out and my tire and tube were ruined.

I've heard of others going up to 100 plus psi but mine failed at only 45 psi. Maybe I cut the bead too much? I don't know for sure what happened but I know I'm out $100 and my tube. I'm going to order another tire but maybe I won't trim the bead this time and see if I can make it go. Hopefully I can get this figured out because I don't want to waste any more money on tires for this oddball bike.

Last edited by ShaggyAnt; 03-26-2015 at 02:17 PM.
    Darth likes this.

Sorry for the mishap but welcome to the forum!!
    Darth likes this.

I had local motorcycle try to put one on, wouldn't seat. Gave it to the local Big O tires and it blew up and ruined my wheel. Luckily had spare rear wheel and just had the normal new rear tire put on it and gave up on atv tire......
    joeband and old white truck like this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    I had local motorcycle try to put one on, wouldn't seat. Gave it to the local Big O tires and it blew up and ruined my wheel. Luckily had spare rear wheel and just had the normal new rear tire put on it and gave up on atv tire......
    That's not gonna work for me. I'm going to give it one more try and let a local motorcycle shop do it. If I can't have the Duro on the back then I'll just put the worn out factory tire on and sell the stupid bike and get an XT225 with normal size wheels. Screw that worthless factory tire.

You may want to try a different lubricant too. I used "personal lubricant" on mine and it went on pretty easy. That stuff is much slicker than grease. trimming the bead is a must.
    Darth likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    You may want to try a different lubricant too. I used "personal lubricant" on mine and it went on pretty easy. That stuff is much slicker than grease. trimming the bead is a must.
    I think trimming the bead is what did me in. The bead ring was still intact but the trimmed area ripped off from it. You don't think gobs of axle grease was enough? I'll put crisco or KY or whatever is takes to get that _____ on there.
    Last edited by ShaggyAnt; 03-26-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Why/how is stock XT tire any different/ better worse than stock TW rear. I don't mean size. I mean traction&wear. You have an ATV tire that fits an XT rim? Or that will fit on the XT. I've read on ADV rider of issues with non stock tires hitting swing arm or shock mount.
    That useless factory tire is on some of the bikes in Moab right now.
    But list the TW for sale here first many would gladly buy it. Are you close to Texas ? A new member there is looking for a TW.
    Last edited by Padilen; 03-26-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    mudbug likes this.

This is a family forum edit/ watch your language.
    Dryden-Tdub and plumbstraight like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
    Why/how is stock XT tire any different/ better worse than stock TW rear. I don't mean size. I mean traction&wear. You have an ATV tire that fits an XT rim? Or that will fit on the XT. I've read on ADV rider of issues with non stock tires hitting swing arm or shock mount.
    That useless factory tire is on some of the bikes in Moab right now.
    But list the TW for sale here first many would gladly buy it. Are you close to Texas ? A new member there is looking for a TW.
    The xt225 can take a real motorcycle off road tire. Moab is great but I live where it rains.

I'm sure you're just frustrated lol, I've been there trying to take a 30 year old tire off of an XR500.

I had to cut that joker off with a sawzall (spelling?).

If the tires not made to go on the bike and requires modification, I wouldn't do it. I know many many people have, I personally wouldn't.
    1986 Suzuki LT230E
    2004 Polaris Ranger
    2014 John Deere Gator

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links