Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioner
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioner

Aftermarket Cam Chain Tensioner

Hey

I was wondering if anyone has used this ( pictured below ) cam chain tensioner? I cracked my OEM one and am looking online to get a new one, then I came across this? Can anyone recommend, or have any experience with one?

Good? Bad?

From the looks of it, the aftermarket one is set at a constant, where as the OEM one from my understanding "adjusts"

I'm thinking the OEM one is the way to go, but I figured I'd stop in and see if anyone has info on one of these, they look kinda snazzy with the anodized finish.

Thanks Everyone for any input, thoughts, rants, raves.

TW200 Cam Chain Adjuster by Richard Todd Giordanella, on Flickr
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

I would stick with OEM.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I would stick with OEM.
    Me too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yea, Thanks guys that is what I've been thinking. I contacted the guy and he said, "So your chain wont skip at high RPM" Doesn't sound right to me. I'll stick with the OEM. I wonder if it makes any differance to have a static tension on the cam chain? Just curious?

I know this is off topic; RBM you're from Sussex :-) My wife and I were just up there hiking around High Point with our dogs, grabbed lunch at Eloise's. We should get a NJ ride together this spring / summer, TONS of fun rides and trails down my way in the Pine Barrens. :-)
    "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a motorcycle"

The stock cam chain tensioner (on 2001+ bikes), only tightens as the chain develops enough slop to do so. How did you crack the stock one, if i may ask? The older (1987-2000) bikes had to be adjusted like the one above. Either way works, as long as you remember to check the manual tensioner- they apply force to the cam chain rubbing block exactly the same way, the new style just does this automatically. BTW- the above style only fits the newer bikes-it's for somebody that wants a manual tensioner for the newer bikes. I think they cost about the same as a new automatic, from Partzilla or the like sellers.- For me, i'll stick with my automatic-it works just fine.......Glenn
    "Right's right -even if nobody's doing it and wrong's wrong -even if everybody's doing it"

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by RTG View Post
    Yea, Thanks guys that is what I've been thinking. I contacted the guy and he said, "So your chain wont skip at high RPM" Doesn't sound right to me. I'll stick with the OEM. I wonder if it makes any differance to have a static tension on the cam chain? Just curious?

I know this is off topic; RBM you're from Sussex :-) My wife and I were just up there hiking around High Point with our dogs, grabbed lunch at Eloise's. We should get a NJ ride together this spring / summer, TONS of fun rides and trails down my way in the Pine Barrens. :-)
    Sounds good to me! There was a group ride down that way last year, I'd like to get together at some point this year.

Glenn,

Thanks for the great info. My bike is a 2007 and I got over zealous tightening the 2 bolts that hold the tensioner to the engine and it cracked! I was kinda suprized becuase I didn't even tighten the bolts that hard, just a lick past "finger tighten" apparently it was too much.

- I'm sticking with the automatic ! ! ! ! :-)
    Hikerglenn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Sounds good to me! There was a group ride down that way last year, I'd like to get together at some point this year.
    Sounds great, we can all put something together, Summer 2015 TW Ride in the Pines.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I'd like to bring something up about manual cam chain tensioners. I have owned two different KLX250's , and each benefited from installing a manual cam chain tensioner. The benefit was simply noise related. The Automatic tensioners that come stock on the klx250s "work just fine" according to kawasaki engineers, and to be honest they are correct in the operation of the tensioner in terms of engine wear. By all accounts its working properly. The issue is the amount of audible, annoying noise that is heard by the rider.

Some would say the TW has these same sort of noises, others say it's all part of an air cooled engine that is over 30 years old in design. I would venture to say that a manual tensioner would clean up some engine noise, if only to make others more noticeable :P I'd say this would be worth trying, if one had some spare cash laying around. Automatic is nice, easy, almost maintenance free. The manual would take a couple fine tunings to get it bang on then you don't even have to think about it. The KLX250s was a different bike after getting rid of the top end noise, but the TW200 may not benefit from this upgrade. The only way to tell would be to try it.

Just some food for thought.
    RTG likes this.
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R
    2004 Ford Ranger FXR Lvl II

Just a thought but I asume you tried to tighten that thing down with tthe tensioner backed out? if not that would tighten the hell outta the chain and give somewhere.

On another note I would stick with the stock ones for these bikes, but I did have repeated problems with one of the stock ones on a sport bike I had a few years back. It came with a hydraulic tensioner that used oil pressure to tighten it. The adjuster had a bleed back valve that always failed. When the bike wasnt running for a while the tensioner would bleed off the pressure and then the chain would rattle like hell for 15 seconds os so till the pressure build back every start up. In the end I installed one of those style tensioners made by APE. I just adjusted it every oil change from there on out with no problems. I would just finger tighten it then start the engine and do the final adjust by feel and sound. Worked for thousands of miles and never had any issues.
    Drapes and RTG like this.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links