13 tooth front countershaft sprocket.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 13 tooth front countershaft sprocket.

13 tooth front countershaft sprocket.

While I'm busy working up to blowing up my second Duro Powergrip I ordered a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. Does anyone else have one of these or is it even a good idea?
    My bike already came with a 54 tooth rear sprocket so I can't see spending money on a 55 tooth. Will it be ok with a 13 and a 54?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyAnt View Post
    While I'm busy working up to blowing up my second Duro Powergrip I ordered a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. Does anyone else have one of these or is it even a good idea?
    My bike already came with a 54 tooth rear sprocket so I can't see spending money on a 55 tooth. Will it be ok with a 13 and a 54?
    should be able to pull up tree roots with that tire and gearing!

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

ShaggyAnt, that is the set-up I have with my Duro, 13 in front, 55 in the rear. Due to Duro's significantly larger diameter this is not really ridiculously under geared. As Tom hints, it does give the Power to Grip darn near everything. I max out at about 63 mph but it is much happier at 55 or less. I consider the gearing correct for the intended use...trail riding in challenging terrain.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    ShaggyAnt, that is the set-up I have with my Duro, 13 in front, 55 in the rear. Due to Duro's significantly larger diameter this is not really ridiculously under geared. As Tom hints, it does give the Power to Grip darn near everything. I max out at about 63 mph but it is much happier at 55 or less. I consider the gearing correct for the intended use...trail riding in challenging terrain.
    I'm not really too interested in top speed. I wouldn't have bought a TW200 if I was . If I can hold 45 mph I will be fine with that. My biggest concern is climbing the steep terrain we have around here. I like to ride the fire roads but single track and hill climbs are really where it's at for me.
    Last edited by ShaggyAnt; 04-03-2015 at 09:36 PM.

You should be happy with the 13/55 combo then; enough torque in second gear to take advantage of the traction afforded by the ATV tire yet with a low first gear to fall back on for the truly nasties. Where do you hail from Shaggyant? Last Duro fan I met rode primarily in muddy conditions with much taller gearing but I prefer your intended set-up despite the reduced service life of the tiny 13 tooth front sprocket.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I've been running 13 tooth s since mid 90's on 2 of the 3 TW's I've had. On my 99 13/54 with Bighorn 35 sounds happy.
    '99 TW,Ricochet skid plate, Seat Concepts, Jimbo shield, 2" extended swingarm w/Maxxis Bighorn, 5.10 Kenda K270, Stealth exhuast, YZ80 hybrid front forks w/HyperPro proressive springs, ProCycle high mount front fender, ProCycle wide foot pegs, TT-R stainless head pipe, Lizrdbrth cooler, D-Flex hand guards, XT350 gas tank.

2002 Honda Spirit Shadow VT750

1987 BW350

'78 Honda XL100

Fred knows of what he speaks, I've seen him ride. Of course I also got to see him not ride, but that had nothing to do with his tire and gearing.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-04-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    admiral likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    You should be happy with the 13/55 combo then; enough torque in second gear to take advantage of the traction afforded by the ATV tire yet with a low first gear to fall back on for the truly nasties. Where do you hail from Shaggyant? Last Duro fan I met rode primarily in muddy conditions with much taller gearing but I prefer your intended set-up despite the reduced service life of the tiny 13 tooth front sprocket.
    I updated my location. Ever heard of the Ruby Ridge standoff from back in 1992? I'm just an bit south of there in North Idaho.

Well, you certainly live in Duro country then.
    Hope that rascal pops on soon so you can enjoy it and the fun that comes with 13/55 in steep terrain. Must be getting prime riding conditions with trails melting out and winter deadfalls to be negotiated. Once upon a time I worked and rode a bit NW of Upper Priest Lake in the mtns. where the Air Force ran one of it's Escape and Evasion survival courses. ( now called SERE, Survival Evasion, Resistance and Escape). Nice country.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-04-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

SERE is over at Fairchild still. A guy I know teaches some of the classes. Were you ever out at the research center on Ponderay in Bayview? Know a couple of guys up there too.

Edit: Woo Hooo!!!!!! I just let the air out, re-lubed with KY and 90% isopropyl alcohol. Then I put the chuck back on and sent her up to 95psi and she popped right on like it was nothing. Awesome!!!!! I'm going to try and get ahold of the other guys who left three hours ago and get up on that mountian to try this beast out.
    Last edited by ShaggyAnt; 04-04-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links