Accessories
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Accessories

Accessories

Previously I tried to get input on the best accessories for the TW, but since that is such a massively vague topic I decided that I would list the things that I would like to put on my Dub and get some feedback on brands, good experiences, protects to avoid, etc.

Hand guards: not only to they look hella cool, but they serve many functions, keep that cold AM wind from causing your fingers to go numb and keeping those tree limbs and other brush from breaking your hands or clutch/brake levers. I have seen several different kinds and colors, just wondering what has worked well for the TW.

Rear Rack: I am torn between just a rack that i could bungee a bag too or if I want something with side bags or a bag/rack combo.

Wind screen: I know, I know, Jimbo. But is that the best overall or is it just a personal favorite among many.

Thanks for the help, it just gets so overwhelming when you go on to BikeBandit.com or something put in the TW and it list out like a million different options and I don't just want to buy something unless I truly know it is gonna work for the bike.

Main use for the bike is communting, with the occasional off road ride with the kids and wife.

Thanks T-Dubbers

Rear racks:

The top two contenders seem to be Cycleracks - https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...3/Default.aspx

And Manracks - Welcome to ManRacks

Cycleracks are a bit more expensive, notorious for ill-fitting (hammer not included), but offer more versatility.

Manracks are neater and smaller (although made robustly), and some versions will do most of what you require of them.

There are so many variations of both Cycleracks and Manracks, that you need to work out what you want a rack to do – and then choose the model and manufacturer.

The Yamaha OEM model is – well – Yamaha OEM ……….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

As an alternative to the Jimbo shield, I use a Slip Streamer "Spit Fire" windscreen. From this website a new one is around $70: Slip Streamer Spitfire Windshield - 2012 Harley-Davidson Dyna Street Bob - FXDB - Tint - 7/8" - 2WheelPros.com. I got mine free from one of my son's bikes. Universal so they can fit several different motorcycles.

I bought just the metal portion of the Tusk Hand guard and made my own plastic hand guard from a plastic pail. I'm still refining how big I want it.

Best photo I have without the plastic guards on.
    Last edited by admiral; 04-27-2015 at 12:28 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Doc, do me a favor. Go to Pro Cycle, select an item, I don't care what it is, and then add it to cart and calculate shipping. Then I'm going to do it from here. My experience has been that Pro Cycle has the highest shipping charges of anyone I've ever dealt with. for instance I just added a $15 countershaft sprocket and the shipping (lowest grade) was $9.73. Shipping on the sprocket, an O ring chain and a Shinko 244 was a whopping $38.21. With a little judicious shopping I could easily find each of those items cheaper elsewhere, and moreover most likely find free shipping.

Edit and Update. Went to Motorcycle Superstore and added a 5.10x 18 Golden Boy and a DID 428 O ring chain. Did the same at Pro Cycle.

Superstore had free shipping on that order and the total was $139.98

Pro Cycle the total was $149.90 for the two same items plus a whopping $37.52 for shipping.

Difference being $47.44.
    Last edited by Borneo; 04-27-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Forgot to mention till TwiLight mentioned it. In the first photo is ATV Mitts which can go over the whole hand guard for warmth, if you ride in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Rear racks:

The top two contenders seem to be Cycleracks - https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...3/Default.aspx

And Manracks - Welcome to ManRacks

Cycleracks are a bit more expensive, notorious for ill-fitting (hammer not included), but offer more versatility.

Manracks are neater and smaller (although made robustly), and some versions will do most of what you require of them.

There are so many variations of both Cycleracks and Manracks, that you need to work out what you want a rack to do – and then choose the model and manufacturer.

The Yamaha OEM model is – well – Yamaha OEM ……….
    Although I have a Manracks front rack, I have a rear and side racks made by Happy Trails out of Boise ID. Happy Trails SU Side Rack<br>Yamaha TW200 - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers
    Depending on how serious you are about carrying side cargo, and how strong you want it to be, and of course your budget, I can't say enough good about this system. ::::ISCLAIMER::::: I am not knocking CycleRacks, they are probably the most widely used on a TW and by members of this forum. And for the purposes they use them for they work fantastic. I needed a bit more heft and utility out of mine so I got the rear and sides from Happy trail. The rear rack from HT alone is only mounted to the sub frame with 4 bolts. CR racks are mounted also with 4 bolts but 2 of them going down to the main frame which provides more capacity. BUT!!! With the HT side AND rear together, it is held by 8 bolts and in my honest opinion can hold a lot more weight and is much more versatile than a CR rack. But you will pay a significant amount more for this luxury.
    The HT rear and sides together can take a direct hit from a Bradley Fighting Vehicle or 17 angry girl scouts.
    Just offering another option
    IMG_0078.JPGIMG_0271.JPG
    SickPuppy76 likes this.

Attachment 16864

Hmm, I have a Man Racks front and a Happy Trails Top rear and pannier setup too. How did I not know until now that you sported the same rigging?
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

So far I've bought the Manracks utility rear rack. The TW is a narrow bike and I wanted it to stay narrow. I like the cycleracks but everything that does I have on my BMW GS. I got the Jimbo screen, too. It's small and narrow. Again bigger and wider is nice sometimes. Alos got a bigger wider screen on my GS. I added Tusk hand protectors, just aluminum, no plastic and Tusk handlebar risers and it seems good so far. Gotta upgrade the skid pan and maybe change to Protaper handlebars eventually. Still on the fence thinking about a Clarke 2.7 gal. fuel tank (natural/see-thru). But, I did get a tool tube in the mail today!
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Attachment 16864

Hmm, I have a Man Racks front and a Happy Trails Top rear and pannier setup too. How did I not know until now that you sported the same rigging?
    That, I do not know, but I will say "Great Minds Think Alike"?

I personally waited on buying a TW until I found a good one that already had cycleracks front and rear as that was one of my ultimate must haves to begin with. Quality stuff from stand up people. My cycleracks are like handguards for the whole bike. I would have several more broken bits and pieces had they not absorbed most of the abuse on multiple crashes (ya, I crash on the reg so far.) Same goes for Jimbo Shield as Jimbo C. is one heck of a guy. I can admit that I bought my Jimbo shield cause they look badass and that I was pleasantly surprised by the subsequent utility and performance. Lastly, Tusk D-flex handguards with the plastic. Like a helmet for your hands. A little beefier and a better fit than most on my pro-taper mid rise replacement bars. I also use the D-flex as my emergency brake of last resort when I'm really puckered up. They have not failed me yet. Might I suggest wider footpegs off of ebay. They are cheap and easy and if you ever ride in something other than MX boots they make a world of difference.

Side note: I use procycle all the time. I use their site to find and research the very BEST quality products for my bike. Then I go buy the same stuff cheaper from someone else. Smiles
    SickPuppy76 likes this.
    2007 TW200, Cycleracks, Jimbo shield, Tinman Tim racks and tool tube mount, Shinko 244 in 5.10, Protaper ATV mid handlebars, Tusk D-flex hand guards, e-bay steel pegs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links