UFO - An interesting math problem
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: UFO - An interesting math problem

UFO - An interesting math problem

In an attempt to bring out the best in my '92 carb, I purchased a Dial-a-jet. It works and I love it. So, I decided to see what else I could do with Thunder Products stuff.

The first is an air stabilizer called the Quad Flow Torque Wing, installed on the engine side to divide the air flow into quadrants and reduce turbulence. And the second is the Ultimate Flow Optimizer, or UFO. It is inserted into the bottom of the slide to further straighten the air, as well as to move the suction to better pull gas from the needle opening.

Both of those require modifications to fit in a TW carb, and I will post pics as I get them put in. However, now I have a dilemma. My carb is using the stock #40 pilot jet, and is already way too lean, because I have a high flow air filter. That will only get worse when I install my new exhaust later this week.

I wouldn't have a problem picking out a new jet, except for one thing, Lonn over at Thunder Products suggests cutting the size of my pilot jet in HALF. This is the case because much more gas will be pulled up the needle when I give it throttle, which improves response. I called the guys at Procycle, and they suggested I start a thread here.

I hadn't planned on reporting until I knew whether the news would be good or bad, but maybe there is someone else who has already experimented with these. If those who have much more knowledge about carburetors than I wish to weigh in, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll report what I find out so that others might benefit.
    Last edited by TheLuigus; 04-27-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    Ken, ejfranz and Howsbentley like this.
    It's now a TW250, but soon to be a TW Tracker 250, and then with a bar and shock swap, a TW Cafe 250! - Hopefully SR400 conversion, Japanese Hollow Mod Stuff, DMO Footpegs, Lizrdbrth Cooler, Engine Upgrades

You may be in uncharted territory. There have been a few TW Dial-a-Jet users, but I can't recall anyone also using the Torque Wing and UFO.

It is my understanding that with the Dial-a-Jet, your carb should be set at the leanest possible jetting, then adjust the "dial" to get the proper fuel mixture.

Shouldn't the Dial-a-Jet compensate for a lean pilot jet, and the change in air flow?

My guess is that you will need to do a lot of trial and error testing.

From the UFO description: **When installing UFOs, the pilot jet must be reduced substantially (usually about 50%, sometimes even more).
    From the Torque Wing description: ...the Torque Wing is easy to install and requires no tuning.

jb
    Last edited by jbfla; 04-27-2015 at 07:55 PM.
    ejfranz likes this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

You can do it!!!! I'll be cheering for you and watching intently..........

Tom............ with a fresh bag of popcorn.
    Fred likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi guys, I didn't expect a reply so quickly. Makes me feel better knowing there are others interested. I will surely have to try several sizes to get it right.

Jbfla is absolutely right, but while talking to the inventor, Lonn, I got the feeling it wasn't so clear cut. He led me to believe that it should be 50% of a properly running pilot jet, which mine is certainly not.

If I were to go up in size to, say a #42, it probably still would be on the lean side, but at least runnable without the choke. If I hadn't invested in the UFO, I would be buying jets right now. So, let's say something like a #44, for instance (I don't know if that exists) might be correct. That means 50% in size would be a #22, or I might be over-thinking this entirely.

Oh, and the cool thing about combining the dial-a-jet with the UFO, is that they work on different rpm's and compliment each other. The UFO improves atomization at low rpm's and throttle response, while the dial-a-jet evens the fuel distribution at the mid to high range and also improves response. Include the torque wing in the equation and I should have the response of a carburetor twice the price of mine. (No, I don't work for them. I'm just excited!)
    It's now a TW250, but soon to be a TW Tracker 250, and then with a bar and shock swap, a TW Cafe 250! - Hopefully SR400 conversion, Japanese Hollow Mod Stuff, DMO Footpegs, Lizrdbrth Cooler, Engine Upgrades

I really want you to be successful with this. So many "upgrades" on here have been done to death, or perfection, depending on your perspective. Truly uncharted territory is exciting! I wonder what this would do for gas mileage? Hope it is not just snake oil.

Tom

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Me too, Tom. The installation will probably be Wednesday, (I need to use a buddy's lathe) after which I'll be posting pictures. Then the trial and error will begin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLuigus View Post
    Me too, Tom. The installation will probably be Wednesday, (I need to use a buddy's lathe) after which I'll be posting pictures. Then the trial and error will begin.
    Seriously, I wish you all the luck in the world with this. I would maybe try this even if there were zero performance gains but a decent increase in fuel mileage. I am already averaging 70 mpg too. 90 would be nice though

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    I am already averaging 70 mpg too. 90 would be nice thoughTom
    Easy, go 25 mph in 5th gear...

There's a list of available main and pilot jets here:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...et-part-s.html

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    Easy, go 25 mph in 5th gear...

There's a list of available main and pilot jets here:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...et-part-s.html

jb
    I have an 90 tooth rear. Haven't seen 25 mph since the upgrade but man does she pull down low!

Tom
    Miaugi likes this.

Thanks for the encouragement and the link to part numbers. I just ordered a #20 and a #25 to start, which weren't on the list or even on the forum's radar, for obvious reasons. The list will come in super handy for main jets later though, so I'm bookmarking it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links