Oh no...another luggage thread
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Oh no...another luggage thread

Question Oh no...another luggage thread

Hard or soft?
    What have you had the best experience with?

And...is there an optimum parcel/rear rack and luggage combination?
    TIA,
    Howard
    "The Obstacle is the Path"...B.K.S.Iyengar, commenting on the Practice of Yoga. The Iyengar Style of Yoga is both the most disciplined and precise.

Regardless of whether you are talking top box (bag) or panniers (and I don't know which you are asking about) the answer can be summarized to an extent by simply stating that hard boxes generally provide better security. Soft luggage is generally easier to pack. These days both can be equally waterproof.

As for panniers. As noted, hard panniers offer better security, however when riding aggressive off road trails, they can prove a hazard to your legs unless you are a very confident rider and never allow you leg to get sucked in under the box when riding. Soft panniers are more forgiving in this regard.

There are many strongly held opinions as to what is "optimum." I've tried several setups. However, I'm going to say for true luggage hauling the "optimum" setup is the Happy Trails top rack and pannier racks. Specifically the more heavy duty SU ones. Coupled with the aluminum Teton panniers or the Mojave soft bags you have quite a setup. Add the Large or small (or both...you can stack them) Mojave top bag you can carry a full on expedition load. Or you can use one of the variety of aluminum top boxes Happy Trails sells. I happen to have both Mojave bags and aluminum panniers. Not as extravagant as you might imagine, I originally had the aluminum Tetons on my Scrambler and Mojave bags on the TW, however, due to the unique mounting design they can both be interchanged between bikes.

Obviously I've interpreted "luggage" in a big way here, as in full on remote touring and camping. That may not have been what you meant. Also, the Happy Trails racks and panniers/top boxes or bags, are not cheap. You will spend, for instance around a grand for the SU pannier racks and a set of aluminum Teton boxes. Add $140 for the companion top rack. Then you have top bag/box options that will run anywhere from $140 on up. In addition you can add very nice utility bags made to fit the top of the hard panniers to the tune of $122 a pair.

Finally, if you use the aluminum panniers they are strong enough to mount fuel/water racks such as the Zega Pro models offered from Touratech. (I personally have one pannier rigged with the mount for the 3 liter plastic bottle, and the other rigged with the mount for twin MSR bottles.

Extra finally, my Happy Trail top rack has a plate to mount a 2 gallon Roto Pax to it, and of course the soft Mojave bag will mount above that.

So, if you really meant "luggage" rather than "hauling a few small items" there you have it. A luggage setup to travel the whole Country with...or the world for that matter.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Borneo,
    You make some good points.
    My fault for not clarifying purpose. I think side panniers and a rear rack is all I need because I going to transport the occasional bag of groceries or work out clothes. I do not tour, nor do I ride technical terrain.
    Come to think of it, I am probably one of the odd-balls in this group because my bike is a street commuter.
    Best,
    Howard
    immgunn likes this.
    "The Obstacle is the Path"...B.K.S.Iyengar, commenting on the Practice of Yoga. The Iyengar Style of Yoga is both the most disciplined and precise.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Borneo and immgunn like this.

^^^Now that's cool.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I have a Givi on my manrack. Works great and with just the push of a button, I can remove it when not needed. It will carry anything securely, plus able to stow helmet under lock and key as well.

givi1.jpg givi2.jpg givi3.jpg
    immgunn likes this.

Old w/guns......
    My gosh, at capacity how much weight are you packing in?
    Have you upgraded your shocks?
    That is right out of BMW's GS Giant Manual.
    H

I have a soft setup on both of my Tw's. They consist of a cycleracks, SW Motech Tailbag II for the top case. For the sides i'm using wolfman rocky mountain bags and a set of Tinman Tim pannier mounts to mount them. I'm pretty happy with this setup, some might find the side bags a little big. Wolfman makes a smaller side bag called the expedition as well. I have also modded my cyclerack to take two rotopax 1 gallon packs under the top bag.

On my Ducati i have the factory hard cases and top box. I like them and feel they are more secure/are more secure from a locking standpoint but they are not as flexible in the sense that they don't expand. The side bags i feel are more difficult to load.

Here is a pic of my setups on the bike.
    TW

Ducati
    littletommy likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

If you're looking for an easy, cost-effective all-around decent rack, I really like the Nomadic Rack. It's rock solid and quick to install. You can see I have a Roto Pax mount on mine for extra fuel but take that away and you can easily strap any duffle/roll bag to the rack, as there are so many slots to throw straps through (I've been using Rock Straps). Hope this helps. Sorry, can't freaking figure out how to rotate the photos.

Attachment 16921Attachment 16922

Hoytis,
    The attachments 16921, 22 are not working.

The Nomadic Rack has a lot of possibilities.

H

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links