TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

What are the "must have" tools for TW200?

12K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·
For tune ups, valve adjustments, oil changes, and other maintenance what are the must haves?

As we all know, every bike has it's own persona in required tools.
TIA,
Howard

#2 ·
I've had my TW for a couple of years and done all my own maintenance. The basics would be a metric socket, hex key wrenches, and wrench set, feeler gauges, JIS screw drivers, grease gun. After that, the sky's the limit. You could also get tire irons, spanner wrench for the steering head, various punches, pliers, torque wrenches, and the list goes on.

#19 · (Edited)
On a serious note, the Cresenthammer is nice to have out on the trail or even in the shop/garage at home when you need that "tap tap" action. Prior to the cresenthammer, I have had to use a rock from time to time. Comes in handy for things other than the TW too!

#11 ·
OK, devoted TW200 followers, What sizes of GIS?
Amazon seems to have various assortments.
Do any of you have a favorite place or link?

#12 ·
Screenshot by Lightshot Leatherman Wave. always at my side. used to have the black ops version but my drunken brother dropped it in the drink on Saratoga Lake.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
#13 ·
I know it's not a tool for the bike, but if your bike doesn't have a kick starter, that's where I'd start. Could save you a lot of grief at home or on the trail.

#16 ·
I've been trying to do all of the maintenance on my TW with the included tool kit, and so far the only things I've needed to add to it have been feeler gauges and an allen key (valve adjustment). For everything else, the included tools work fine (though many things are a lot easier with ratchet and socket :))

#17 ·
Little Tommy,
At the risk of sounding like a village idiot, and my riding is mostly local to 30 miles out, why a kick starter?

I know that I am somewhat of a stranger in a strange land here. I ride in civilization. Many members of this group pack fuel, water, etc, and probably ride to the center of the Earth.
I think there was a movie about that staring James Mason, in his greatest dramatic role.
H

#18 ·
Well, even on the side of the road, if the battery failed or you wore it down trying to start the bike after a repair of some sort, you could at least get it going and get home. I hate leaving my bike somewhere too. Just last week, I went out to start it and it almost started but not quite. (something's not right, normally, it fires right up instantly) I gave it a kick and away we went. Next day though, nada, no dash lights, no click from the starter, nothing but a dead bike. Er..Ahh Ok,...2 kicks and away we went to the battery story to price batteries. No battery in stock, ok, we wait a week. Meanwhile :p I keep on riding every day, no big deal. A week later, 35 bucks poorer, but with a new battery, away we go as usual. To me a kicker is one of the most important things you can have on your bike and should be one of the first things you do to your bike if it doesn't have one. BTW, the battery that was in it was just over 4 years old. Hope this helps explain why I posted a kicker in the tool thread. All the tools you have might not help you if the battery takes a dump and you have no kicker, and I'm too old and fat and broken to run alongside the bike and try to jump on and start it every time I need to run to the donut shop. :Dhe he

#34 ·
I'll second that. I usually don't replace them all at once, just when something comes off replace the screws with nice Allens and then add the appropriate sizes to the tool kit. So far My TW got a nice tiny set holding the carb bowl on when it got a jet change. The rear rack got a couple when I tried to tighten the bolt by the foot peg. Their is crappy clearance there.
So two Allen wrenches so far.

#24 ·
That cool red Crescenthammer...available in both Metric & SAE?

#28 ·
Too Funny! Of course it's available in both. Left handed style metric, right handed style SAE! Very easy to remember:p

#26 ·
Nothing wrong at all with bump starting it. I'm just too old and fat to want to do it anymore. Believe me, someday you will wish you had a kicker.

Reactions: Gerry and TWilight
#29 ·
Bump starting is certainly an option. My advice; practice doing it off-pavement a half dozen times. During my bicycle riding period, I developed a theory; there are two uphills for every down-hill. On the TW, if you let out the clutch to soon, or are in to low a gear, your rear wheel locks up before your engine turns over. If you do it wrong, you can be screwed. If you have to push your bike back up a hill to get a second chance, I would wager you will be more than willing to spend $200 not to have to do that again. Just my opinion. Gerry

#33 ·
What are the favorite tools for valve adjustments?

I need to buy a new set of feeler gauges as mine don't go down thin enough, and I know there are various styles of little tools to hold the valve adjustment screw while tightening the lock nut. Since I need to buy both, I may as well buy the stuff that is the most ergonomic / easiest to use on the TW.

Thanks

#37 ·
I like a Dremel tool so I can 'mericanize those pesky JIS screws into something I can turn with either #2 philips or a common blade screwdriver. Most of the JIS I have changed to allen head but the carb drain I like to open with a simple tool before putting Betty Boop away for an extended rest. I could drop ~$80 on JIS driver set but then I'ld likely mix them up in my already overstuffed screwdriver drawers.
Other than that a good friend like Twilight comes in handy to point out what needs doing, and how to do it right.;)

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.