Let's chew the fat about rear shocks some more....
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DKV
  • 2 Post By evan

Thread: Let's chew the fat about rear shocks some more....

Let's chew the fat about rear shocks some more....

I still have the stock "recall" rear shock on my 89 black widow Tdub. Kinda makes me nervous and really don't want to chance it breaking while riding in the boonies. New updated one from Yamaha is really pricey ($500???). Read a lot of past posts and someone said you can get one for $250?? where? Someone else said procycle is the way to go but don't see an actual shock just updated stiffer springs (which I would love to have cuz mine does bottom out when sitting on seat over heavy whoops). Also read about using blaster, banchee and other shocks. Not interested in changing things. Just want something that easily bolts in and then go have fun riding! Anyone have a newer style one for sale. Checked Ebay and a few there but want about $175
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

rbm
    I believe I've read that the recall was honored in Canada. If it were me, I'd try to get in contact with a Canadian dealer to see if they could make the swap. Or, I'd become a thorn in Yamaha's butt about it.

If the recall doesn't work there should be some other reasonable solution.
    Perhaps a classified add here? I know a few have changed out shocks due to swing arm extensions, hollow mods, heavy loads, etc....maybe someone can help Mike?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

DKV
    I'm going to try a banshee shock and put limiter stop on it. I can do the TW spring and spacer. But Eibach has 9" long 2.25" id in 600 lbs./in - 10.7 kg/mm , 700 lbs./in. - 12.5 kg/mm , 800lbs./in. - 14.3 kg/mm and 900 lbs./in. - 16 kg/mm. These are straight rate springs and I see Procycle's springs are straight rate 15 or 19 kg/mm for the stock shock. Has anyone tried the Eibach or similar spring and at what rate ? The stock shock and spring work for my weight , load and slow riding style. Looking for some adjust-ability for comfort on bad asphalt and washboard gravel. I'm thinking the 900 lbs./in for my first attempt and if too stiff go lighter if not stiff enough TW spring and spacer.
    Gerry likes this.
    2002 229 6 speed, 241's, emulators blue 2 1/2 130mm 5/8" spacer, 2" powermadd, 714's, jimbo, seat concepts 1/2" gel, tiny tach, carb fuel 2mm BELOW joint at ctr jets 32 132 china needle clip ctr and shorter spring, sprockets 16 52-55 x chain, banshee shock spring rate 700 lbs/in 1 1/2" sag 3" race sag limited 1" to cross member ( 1/8" higher race sag than stock shock and spring when there set on top circlip for ME) modded pegs, kickstand, air screw, seat bolts, etc

I got an updated rear shock from ebay for about $75 the other week. have a new procycle red spring too. be putting that on bike when I get a chance. Think I might also add air Schrader valves to front shocks like many have done on this forum. be nice to be able to adjust them as riding condition change or have a passenger.
    wrench-puller and joeband like this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

DKV
    On the banshee shock I tried the 900lbs./in. and thought it too stiff and put on a 700 lbs./in. With very light preload it raised it about a half inch with over the stock shock set on the highest preload . I noticed the bushings are bearings that can be removed and that a person could turn and drill offset bushings if there were a height problem. Now if the weather would cooperate .
    2002 229 6 speed, 241's, emulators blue 2 1/2 130mm 5/8" spacer, 2" powermadd, 714's, jimbo, seat concepts 1/2" gel, tiny tach, carb fuel 2mm BELOW joint at ctr jets 32 132 china needle clip ctr and shorter spring, sprockets 16 52-55 x chain, banshee shock spring rate 700 lbs/in 1 1/2" sag 3" race sag limited 1" to cross member ( 1/8" higher race sag than stock shock and spring when there set on top circlip for ME) modded pegs, kickstand, air screw, seat bolts, etc

Sponosred Links