20% or 40% stronger fork springs?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 20% or 40% stronger fork springs?

20% or 40% stronger fork springs?

I really need to do something about these front forks. I'm bottoming out a lot when I hit whoops or big dips. I bottom out the back too sometimes but the front is much worse.

I weigh 185 pounds and I'm just not sure if the 20% stronger or 40% stronger springs from procycle will be better? I don't like bottoming out but I'm afraid of going too stiff with the heavy springs.

Following the other guys I ride with is difficult when my front tire is bouncing all over the trail. I know there has got to be some expert advice on here. Thanks all.

have you checked your fluid levels first? they can dramatically affect your forks performance.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Shaggy, considering your light weight, I would go with the 20 % stronger springs, and..........15 weight fork oil.
    This. I weigh 220# and I installed the 20% stronger springs with either 10 or 15 weight oil (don't remember). I thing the stronger springs would have been way too stiff for my weight.
    TWilight and Little Brute like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    have you checked your fluid levels first? they can dramatically affect your forks performance.
    What is the proper procedure for this? Do I have to pull the forks off the bike to adjust the fluid level? I keep hearing 135 mm is the right height.

This is from the TW Guru. I can't help you there. I have the longer tubes and my fluid measurements will be different.

Maybe the next time I drain Purple's stock forks. 'Bout a year from now, since I just did them

Seriously, the liquid measuement is pretty much uselss. If there is any residual fluid left in the legs after you drain them it will result in a higher level than intended. The only way to get this right is to grab a ruler.

Come on, guys. As long as you're just checking your existing levels and ADDING fluid this is 15 minutes' work. Slightly longer for you milk crate guys:

1. Set your purse down.

2. Lift front end off the ground and support bike.

3. Loosen upper pinch bolts. Remove fork caps and pull springs. Try not to chip your nails.

4. Let front end down until it bottoms.

5. Measure fluid level. Add fluid to 130mm, both legs.

6. Reinstall springs and fork caps. Tighten pinch bolts.

7. Ride.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Tony, unless you're dealing with severely neglected fork legs full of semi-solid nasty gray gack you should never need to disassemble them at all.

Take them off, dump out the old oil, refill them with a small amount of ATF, cycle them by hand a few times then dump the dirty oil. Do this until the fluid is clear and you're done.

I've said it before, but fork oil doesn't wear out. Thersimply isn't enough going on in a fork in terms of heat or friction to promote oil breakdown. What does happen is that moisture and acids turn it into sludge. That's just a function of time, not use. Your fork tube is a somewhat sealed environment in which is it always "raining".

Air contains water. Water and oil do not mix. They emulsify into gray gack.

Do it at least annually and you'll probably NEVER need to fully disassemble them or disturb the seals for cleaning.
    Mel, TWilight and badcat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    Maybe the next time I drain Purple's stock forks ........
    022.gif
    TWilight likes this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

measure the fork oil with forks fully compressed without the springs in, then lift the bike forks and wheel off the ground then put the springs in and then spacer and put the caps on and then you are done.
    TWilight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    That was his wife Purple people eater.
    TWilight likes this.

Well I am over 200 pounds and I replaced the metal spring preloads with some hi-tech PVC that happened to be 500/1000 of an inch longer....I tried 3/4" first and it was a tad stiff...next I added a 1/4" spacer to the rear spring...done!
    TWilight likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links