Best replacement front tire for.......
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Best replacement front tire for.......

Best replacement front tire for.......

...wet, leaf covered trails ? I bought my TW mostly for bowhunting purposes which mean I'll mostly be riding from Oct-end of the year. Of course this time of the year is fairly wet ground covered in leaves and makes for slick conditions. I'm very new to riding motorcycles and I've found that the front wheel can take you down quickly on slippery ground ! Any suggestions on to a good replacement for a front tire used in these conditions ?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    mtn_goat....welcome to the TW200 forum, and it would be helpful for the rest of us, if you would please identify your location.

As for a replacement front tire for the conditions you stated you would be riding in, there are only two choices that "I" can bring forth.

Most people on here will suggest the Shinko 244 Golden Boy....in a 5.10-18 tire. I suggest getting the same time in a 4.60-18 tire. And...using the stock front tube. If you have a need to replce your stock front tube, make sure you buy one that is the standard tube...and NOT a Ultra Heavy Duty tube, that weighs twice as much as the stock tube. To me, the 5.10 tire is too phat for the front of this bike, whereas the 4.60 is a much better size. Still more width than the OEM tire was...even with the 4.60 width.

Now, having tried one of those Shinko 244 Golden Boy's myself, I decided to take it off, and install a Shinko 241 TRIALS tire. It is a 4.00-18 tire, but when mounted on the wheel, it is AS wide as the OEM front tire was. Again, use the stock front tube. If you need to replace the tube, you can buy a Bridgestone 120/90-18 tube, and it fits perfectly for the front of these bikes. Yes, I know the OEM tube was designed to fill a 130 width tire, but we do not inflate these tubes/tires to their full potential, so you will not be stretching a 120 tube to fit a 130 tire.

So....Shinko 244 Golden Boy....or a Shinko 241 TRIALS tire.

The "professional" riders are switching over to the Shinko 241 TRIALS tire.
    Twilight how is the trials tire wearing on the front? my stock tire is getting choppy after 6500 miles. 40% paved roads, 50% dirt roads, 10% no road at all
    2015 CSC RX3, TW200 2013 (for sale), 2011 Ural Gobi, 1995 GL1500SE (for sale)

mtn_goat,

Having ridden with both size SR244 Golden Boy's TWiLight has mention, and they are better than stock, but you may also want to consider a Kenda 760 Trackmaster II. 110/100-18 is fairly close to stock size. If you're not gonna ride too much on the street, this tire is more aggressive 90% off-road tire. It has more room for mud, leaves etc, to vacate.

It's not widely used by us TW crowd, but there have been a few. I've ridden with 2 guys that have the the 760 and they say they like it a lot for off-road purposes, and is adequate enough for some pavement riding.

TW member testimonial: When I first got my TW I could tell right away that the stock front tire would wash out on off camber trails. As a mostly off road rider I decided on a Kenda K760 110/100-18 It has a more aggressive tread and really hooks up in dirt as well as the Sandstone Rocks down in the Moab area. It also does great cornering on paved road.

Kenda 760 Trackmaster II
    Last edited by admiral; 05-18-2015 at 08:59 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    mtn_goatMost people on here will suggest the Shinko 244 Golden Boy....in a 5.10-18 tire. I suggest getting the same time in a 4.60-18 tire.

I decided to take it off, and install a Shinko 241 TRIALS tire. It is a 4.00-18 tire, but when mounted on the wheel, it is AS wide as the OEM front tire was.

So....Shinko 244 Golden Boy....or a Shinko 241 TRIALS tire.

The "professional" riders are switching over to the Shinko 241 TRIALS tire.
    I'd like to see some pics of those three mounted for comparision to the stocker.

Except for the trials tire the others are wider that the OEM?
    TWilight likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Thanks guys ! And btw, I'm from s/w Virginia.
    TWilight likes this.

Mounted a 4.00x18 Shinko 241 on mine. Really the exact same size as the stocker, when mounted. The road handling was a little strange to get used to, maybe because it was sticking to the road like it was on rails. Off-road, I only had it on wet gravel and stream crossings and it did wonderfully.
    "Right's right -even if nobody's doing it and wrong's wrong -even if everybody's doing it"

The Pirelli MT43 is another DOT trials tire and I just put one on the front and maybe have 50 miles on it. Great traction on wet roads.
    I have had a few on the back of my WR. Great for roots and wet rock. Works in mud if you don't spin it which will not be an issue on the front.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerglenn View Post
    Mounted a 4.00x18 Shinko 241 on mine. Really the exact same size as the stocker, when mounted. The road handling was a little strange to get used to, maybe because it was sticking to the road like it was on rails. Off-road, I only had it on wet gravel and stream crossings and it did wonderfully.
    Are you using the Bridgestone 120/90-18 tube with it?
    TWilight likes this.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Quote Originally Posted by oilhed View Post
    I'd like to see some pics of those three mounted for comparision to the stocker.

Except for the trials tire the others are wider that the OEM?
    I just Googled it and we have it here on an older thread:

https://tw200forum.com/forum/performa...html#post71466

Quote Originally Posted by oilhed View Post
    Are you using the Bridgestone 120/90-18 tube with it?

Mark F.
    Mark Flanagan
    aka OILHED
    2014 Yamaha TW200 &
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links