New Cam?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elime

Thread: New Cam?

New Cam?

I searched around and didn't see any threads on it, so here goes.

I found out that Webcams sells an upgraded cam for the TW200. I'm tempted to try it. It's $160 plus about $90 for springs. It requires an aftermarket exhaust, so I've been shopping for one of those too.

Anybody try the cam yet?

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Google search: site:tw200forum.com webcam

This will show some of the forum threads on the subject.

Thanks. Some interesting reading. Sounds like it's a worthwhile mod!

I just pulled the trigger on a DG pipe and quiet core. Now I'm thinking I may need to change my cam chain, the cam sprocket, and guides... that adds another $130-ish to the project. I know this motor has somewhere north of 20k miles on it. I want to do a compression test, but my tester doesn't fit in the plug hole, so either I need an adapter or a different tester. It runs quite well, so I don't expect to find it down on compression.. I'm just curious.

The 55T sprocket is quite short for road riding. I find myself in 5th gear by 35 mph. I was reading up on that Dual Sprocket thread. Might have to do something like that and go back down to a 50.

If I do all this, my next mod will have to be a disc front brake. The brakes on this thing are just scary.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    The disk brakes are not much better.

If you are going to take the head off to change the valve springs you might consider a Wiseco forged piston ( 10.25 : 1 compression ratio vs. 9.5 : 1 stock ratio). Wiseco model 4292M06700 for a stock size and will probably just drop right in or a first oversize one 4292M06750 but your cylinder will have to be bored or honed out.

Feel really ambitious? Get a Wiseco piston 4312M07000 and bore the cylinder to 70 mm oversize. Cylinder walls look a little thin to me but Sebastian swears there is ample strength. Displacement jumps from 196 cc to 214 cc. With the cam and the exhaust and the increase in compression ratio you should have a real torque monster!
    Peterb likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Elime... I'm liking this idea! Not knowing the actual miles on the bike, and knowing that it has had a lot of crap in the motor (which is still working its way out, based on what I see on the oil filter), this would be a good thing to do in the coming months.

While I'm doing all that, I wonder if somebody could do a little head porting work too.

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

I don't know about porting......what I did was open up the exhaust port a little bit. There was a little "flashing", or a short wall, surrounding the edge of the port and I removed it with a Dremel. In my mind's eye I could see exhaust gases flowing much better with it gone. Honestly, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Before and after:
    PA260020.JPGPB120017.JPG
    Last edited by elime; 05-22-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I'm curious about a cam upgrade as well. Back in the day (70's) we did some crazy things to the little Honda SL70 engines: big domed piston with valve clearancing, monster valves, ported head, crazy cam, larger carb, running on alcohol with nitto added, megafone pipe, magneto, etc... The intake manifold would ice up on the outside! My brother put the valves through the piston on that TT racer, racing a Honda 750 down Chapman Hill coming home from Saddleback Motorcycle Park one day after school (bolted a plate on it and rode it there on the street ). But I digress to my pre-teen/teen racing days...

The TW200 just needs more grunt and throttle response IMHO. A mild cam with cleaned up ported head should do it with a tuned pipe, jetting and I think others of openned up the airbox in some way. What I call "make it breath" mods.

Subscribed and watching what you come up with. Cheers!
    TW200 "Little Brute" is gone - Waiting to see what 2016 brings (WR250R/CRF250 RALLY/KTM390/Africa Twin or E-bicycle?)

Sponosred Links